SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-10-11, 07:52 AM   #1
RavenWire

Default Accident assistance?

Need a bit of help with this. basically i pulled onto a roundabout to go straight on, when a guy pulled out on my forcing me to slam the anchors on and i hit the deck without a collision (was very wet conditions). He gave the usual "i didn't see you" because i was wearing all black (which i wasn't) to which i asked if he'd seen myheadlights. i looked at the damage and asked him how i i supposed to pay for that and he said that he would.

I phoned my claim company and they are going to try and do him for it. have i got good grounds for a claim
Old 21-10-11, 08:19 AM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: accident assistant

My wife did a similar thing to a bike on a hot sunny day, he was going too fast & locked the front end up and went down.

No contact, but our insurance company paid out, so you stand a good chance. Any police or witnesses?
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-11, 08:50 AM   #3
RavenWire

Police didn't do much and no witnesses despite it being rush hour on a busy road
Old 21-10-11, 11:38 AM   #4
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

If he stumps up then I'd settle without involving the insurance TBH. You should be okay as if they hadn't driven towards you, you wouldn't have fallen off.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-11, 03:04 PM   #5
TamSV
Mega Poster

If you've got an accident management company involved it will be going down the insurance route now. When there's no impact then the course of the claim can come down to what each party says. Hopefully he'll tell the truth.

Is there any CCTV at that roundabout by any chance?
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-11, 11:43 PM   #6
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
If he stumps up then I'd settle without involving the insurance TBH.
Ignore this - take it from me as manager of a motorbike shop, it's not good advice.

Always always always take the insurance route regardless of offers to pay out of their pocket. Never ever rely on them to pay themselves because most car drivers have absolutely no idea just how much a light drop will cost them. They all seem to think a bike is very cheap to repair and that crash damage will only ever amount to about £100 no matter how bad. This is when the disputes start and your bike is either off the road or damaged for as long as it takes you to then get his details and make a claim. The longer you leave it the less likely it is that you will get a good result.

Get his insurance details asap and start down the route of claiming from his insurance company.
Old 22-10-11, 01:20 AM   #7
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

I agree with Lozzo, sadly from bitter experience.

My parked bike was knocked over, just a little tap she said and she was not impressed by the three hundred pound paint repair costs, so it was dealt with by insurance.

It turned out that my radiator was crushed and leaking, the left disk warped and the fork was damaged, along with the other bits I did notice. While her insurance repair my bike I have a hire bike, (which I hate, but at least I have transport). The total repair bill has come to close to £3k and includes a respray and new parts to replace damaged ones.

She was shocked when I told her how much damage she had done and her only comment was that it must be a pretty poor bike to be so easily damaged. I could have throttled her for that one! However, insurance is the way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-11, 08:39 AM   #8
Bluefish

Jayne, lol so if your bike was a super duper bike, what ever one of those is, it would have been cheaper
Old 22-10-11, 10:35 AM   #9
busasean

my brother and his wife (both police officers) were thinking of Adopting and had the social services/adoption people coming out to visit...

My brother had his fireblade in for a service and had a brand spankers CBF1000 courtesty bike sat on their drive when the woman turned up, she knocked on their door and said something about the bike laying on its side, my brother went out and pointed out where the woman had hit it and knocked it over... (she was in her 60's)

she said she would pay for it cash rather than go via insurance, my brother said it might be more than she realised but she was sure it would be fine....

the damage came to about £500 and my brother let her know the following day and she went mad! - he told her to confirm with the local honda dealer to which she said she would not pay. my brother said fine, and requested her insurance details which she refused to give saying the quote was silly for a few scratches....

my brother ended up nicking her for refusing to give insurance details....

....they never did adopt.....
Old 22-10-11, 12:48 PM   #10
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefishman View Post
Jayne, lol so if your bike was a super duper bike, what ever one of those is, it would have been cheaper
But it is a super duper bike!

The comment came back that their YZF Thundercat had not had so much damaged when she knocked that one over!

Maybe if car drivers were more aware of how much it costs to repair a good bike, they would park more carefully... Twunts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote