SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-08-20, 01:18 PM   #31
eddybail

Default Re: The new love of my life!

I needed to change the original can, I use the the exhaust note to tell where I am in the revs and when to change. Couldnt hear a thing with the oem can
eddybail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-20, 01:24 PM   #32
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybail View Post
I needed to change the original can, I use the the exhaust note to tell where I am in the revs and when to change. Couldnt hear a thing with the oem can
Doesn't your bike have a 'visual' rev counter ? Much quieter in operation than an annoyingly loud 'audible' rev counter....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-20, 03:34 PM   #33
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
How do I go about that then?
You need to upload a photo to Flickr, Dropbox, Google photos etc, then copy and paste the URL or BB code to show the picture on your post
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-20, 11:49 AM   #34
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Doesn't your bike have a 'visual' rev counter ? Much quieter in operation than an annoyingly loud 'audible' rev counter....
I'd rather use exhaust note than take my eyes off the road, even for a split second more than I have to.

When you get used to the bike you should be able to do it from feel rather than exhaust note
Old 10-08-20, 01:09 PM   #35
Bibio
Mega Poster

when it hits the limiter you know its time to change gear

only reason i changed the can on my K7 was its fugly long and heavy. if i could get a good looking lightweight whisper quiet aftermarket can i would.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-20, 02:12 PM   #36
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I'd rather use exhaust note than take my eyes off the road, even for a split second more than I have to.

When you get used to the bike you should be able to do it from feel rather than exhaust note
Problem is everyone in the neigbourhood knows how many revs your bike is doing as well - if you really cannot take your eyes off the road and don't like looking down occasionally have you got an audible speedometer as well ? I can hear my stock AL7 exhaust with a helmet and earplugs... it is a pretty nice sound, but does not scare dogs and horses 1/2 a mile away...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 10-08-20 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-08-20, 08:03 PM   #37
eddybail

I agree with Dave, I'm not a fan of looking down to check revs, obvs when I've ridden the bike more I'll get to know the engine better and feel when to change gear.

But I'm not afraid to admit that I am a fan of a legally loud exhaust with a couple of pops and burbles
eddybail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-20, 08:05 PM   #38
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
I agree with Dave, I'm not a fan of looking down to check revs, obvs when I've ridden the bike more I'll get to know the engine better and feel when to change gear.

But I'm not afraid to admit that I am a fan of a legally loud exhaust with a couple of pops and burbles
Bang, bang, bang, bang goes the neighbourhood.

Old 11-08-20, 10:03 AM   #39
TheRamJam
Mega Poster

Nice one Eddybail

I use ImgBB to upload images since photobucket went to payment only to view without the watermarks.
Yamaha MT 10 - Sold

Current Bike: Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory
TheRamJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-20, 11:41 AM   #40
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Problem is everyone in the neigbourhood knows how many revs your bike is doing as well - if you really cannot take your eyes off the road and don't like looking down occasionally have you got an audible speedometer as well ? I can hear my stock AL7 exhaust with a helmet and earplugs... it is a pretty nice sound, but does not scare dogs and horses 1/2 a mile away...
I'd actually more likely hear mine from the induction noise rather than exhaust I think but I get the point, some people don't like loud exhausts and insane ones are antisocial. I'm not quite at the point where I stop appreciating the noise ...although last night I did catch myself remarking on a nob in shorts who'd stuck something pointlessly loud on his tacky, gutless bobber with the only purpose of 'look at me' - most likely with a detriment to power.
RE. Speedo I monitor time and space via looking at the road to be aware of what speed I'm doing , if I need it reaffirming I always know what gear I'm in an can tell roughly from the revs I'm doing . For a speed trap or camera I'll sneak a quick look at the speedo if I'm not confident.