SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-07-20, 01:36 PM   #1
stinkerbill

Default My Cafe Racer custom... have I undersold it?

Hi folks,

This is not a 'for sale' ad, as such, but more that I've had a couple of people hint that I'm underselling myself.. or rather my bike

I built a custom SV650s 'cafe racer' the other year and things being what they are I need to sell it on.

The total build including the original bike cost me a little over £3500.

I've got it up for sae at £2500 thinking I'd never make back what I spent and it's a bit 'niche' anyway.

What do you think? Should I list it higher?

The eBay ad is here for details, and a pic below.

stinkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-20, 04:48 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: My Cafe Racer custom... have I undersold it?

it's worth what people are willing to pay . . . .

custom projects like this don't generally see a profit made due to the time, effort and parts used for personal preference - form/function.

Being this sort of bike it's a toy for a Sunday ride, as it has no practical use and you'd be mad to commute on it.

i would look at SV prices for the year & mileage of your bike, and probably stick a few quid on top.

Looking on Autotrader the bike essentially is 2k to buy in standard form, so i would say your price of 2.5k is about right (personally speaking).

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-20, 08:23 AM   #3
Craigg

For me, being brutally honest:

you have nice paint, but from that one picture, it doesn't look like you have spent any time/money on anything else, disc bobbins are rusty, downpipe/collector is tarnished, radiator seen better days, various rusty/tarnished bolts/brackets and general age on it, its the attention to detail that adds value.

2.5k is minty fresh SV from a dealer money, and this unfortunately isn't that. stock curvy SVs are struggling to get 1.2-1.4k looking at ebay sold listings

id be sitting yours at around the 1800quid mark realistically. list it for 2, and see what happens

unfortunately the top half of the bike is nice custom cafe racer, the bottom half (the important bit) is run of the mill 28k curvy SV.
Craigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-20, 05:27 PM   #4
gadget

Aww, what a let down, I saw the title 'cafe racer' and went all silly, I was expecting a 650 Triton or Tribsa or even DBD 34 goldstar clubmans, wasn't expecting an sv650 tbh. Lol. At that money Maybe a BSA B25 ... if yer lucky.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-20, 08:49 PM   #5
eddybail

I think your bike looks ace, good effort! £2.5k possibly but it all depends on the buyer, I'd list it at £2750 and see what happens. You've always got to back yourself in these sort of things
eddybail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-20, 01:37 PM   #6
Bike27

A bit late to the party (first time I've come on here this year) but as I see your bike is still for sale.........

I broadly agree with everything that has been said. Having checked out the pics in your ebay ad, I think the overall look is great (and I'm very fussy when it comes to bike styling / restyling, so i'm genuinely impressed with what you have done).

Overall - you've elevated an old SV into something that looks altogether far more special, but it is now rather crying out for a bit of paint / nickel plating and some stainless fasteners on the lower half.

Can't help thinking that you could do better splitting it, Possibly some existing curvy SV owners out there who'd consider paying you a four figure sum for the pipe, seat and bodywork, so you could offer it up as a "makeover kit" maybe taking the buyer's standard stuff in p/x to help you put your bike back to stock.
Bike27 is offline   Reply With Quote