SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-11-08, 10:56 AM   #1
riktherider

Default k5 gsxr 750 / 1000 Anyone got one?

opinions on the above. anyone got either of them, and would like to share their thoguhts?
im going to be using it for occasional commuting, keeping the sv for everyday commuting, jsut for nice days the gsxr will come out, and also for trak days, europe trips, autobahn, and weekend blasts. what are they like to own?
i dont want to get the 750 and wish i had the extra power of the 1000, but then i dont want the 1000 and not use all the power and wish i had the nimbler 750!
Old 21-11-08, 11:05 AM   #2
Sosha

Default Re: k5 gsxr 750 / 1000 Anyone got one??

My bro's got K51k.

It's about the same size as my old fzr400 but with more legroom. He also had a K31k and says the K5 is smaller (with more leg room) and way nimbler.

Haven't had a chance to borrow the keys on the k5 and probably won't as he's got his gears upside down. So not much use really am I?

Oy vey.

Know he'd choose the 1k over the 750 any day but that's personal preference.

Try both?

EDIT: Pretty sure Ogden's got the 750....
Old 21-11-08, 11:17 AM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I've got a K5 - 750, but I havent ridden a Thou. I dont want to either. 750 has plenty enough for me.

I love mine I havent thought twice about buying another bike since I got it.

Suspension, Chassis and brakes are a revelation after riding the SV, It stops, turns way better and it copes with poor road surfaces better than the SV ever did.

Obviously its faster, but it has plenty of midrange and it'll pull in 6th from 4000rpm. coming alive after 7000rpm and then it goes nuts after 10000rpm all the way to limiter. I've seen 145 in 4th and it wasnt on the limiter... You leave it in 6th and ride it all day like that or if you want to stir the gears it thrives on revs to.

I find it more comfortable than the SV, it has a taller seat height so if you are tall like me you have more room to move about on the bike, Its a bit wristy but IMHO no worse than a SVS is, you might want to adjust the position of the levers to get really comfy though.

I've done several long trips on it now. It takes luggage fine and it does 120 miles ish before the fuel light comes on, Most I've had out of a tankful is 160 miles the least is 85 miles, but those 85 miles were a hoot.

Mines not missed a beat, its been serviced regularly and apart from a set of brake pads and a clutch cable its never had anything done. Bikes done nearly 18K now.

Exhaust header bolts have gone a bit rusty and its a bit stone chipped on the front fairing, but I woudl be expecting that with those kind of miles.

I think the Thou is more of the same, maybe a little less nimble, but more torque and obviously more power. Just depends which one you have personal preference for neither are rubbish bikes.

I'd say test ride if you can and then make your own mind up.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-08, 11:33 AM   #4
riktherider

ive riden the 750, and liked it, but i do prefer a more upright position, but thats not what im looking for out of this bike. I can be a bit lasy sometimes, and thats what makes me want to ride the 1000. also i do like the look of the k5 1000. my other question was going to be is there much difference between the k4 and k5 1000, but there seems to be and the k5 seems better to go for!
Old 21-11-08, 11:38 AM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

From what I've read on www.gixerjunkies.com the K5 Thou is the best one to go, the current consensus is that it has a more power the the later variants...

The gixerjunkies forum is really good, dont know if you've had a browse around there or not ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-08, 11:51 AM   #6
Dangerous Dave

Having ridden both a 750 will always get my vote over a 1000.
Old 21-11-08, 12:01 PM   #7
Beenz

I had the K6 (same as the K5 spec) thou for 12 K miles. It's about the same weight as the 750 and is more nimble IMHO. Lots more grunt everywhere. The K5/6 has more low and mid range than the K7/8 but has less top end power, having said that on the road I'd guess the extra grunt would be more use.

The eat rear tyres, I used to get just over 2K per rear and 4.5K per front with Diablos which for me anyway transformed the bike from the OWM BT014s which I didn't really like.

So why did I sell it, well I wanted to keep my license, those gixer voices are a tad addictive. Also wanted an all rounder.
Old 21-11-08, 12:13 PM   #8
riktherider

I know what you mean beenz. im going over to europe quite a lot with work, so i will expell those gsxr voices on the autobahn! safest place to do it. and also on the track. i would like to get a spare set of fairings too, but looking on ebay they are still fookin expencive!
Old 21-11-08, 02:10 PM   #9
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
I've got a K5 - 750, but I havent ridden a Thou. I dont want to either. 750 has plenty enough for me.

I love mine I havent thought twice about buying another bike since I got it.

Suspension, Chassis and brakes are a revelation after riding the SV, It stops, turns way better and it copes with poor road surfaces better than the SV ever did.

Obviously its faster, but it has plenty of midrange and it'll pull in 6th from 4000rpm. coming alive after 7000rpm and then it goes nuts after 10000rpm all the way to limiter. I've seen 145 in 4th and it wasnt on the limiter... You leave it in 6th and ride it all day like that or if you want to stir the gears it thrives on revs to.

I find it more comfortable than the SV, it has a taller seat height so if you are tall like me you have more room to move about on the bike, Its a bit wristy but IMHO no worse than a SVS is, you might want to adjust the position of the levers to get really comfy though.

I've done several long trips on it now. It takes luggage fine and it does 120 miles ish before the fuel light comes on, Most I've had out of a tankful is 160 miles the least is 85 miles, but those 85 miles were a hoot.

Mines not missed a beat, its been serviced regularly and apart from a set of brake pads and a clutch cable its never had anything done. Bikes done nearly 18K now.

Exhaust header bolts have gone a bit rusty and its a bit stone chipped on the front fairing, but I woudl be expecting that with those kind of miles.

I think the Thou is more of the same, maybe a little less nimble, but more torque and obviously more power. Just depends which one you have personal preference for neither are rubbish bikes.

I'd say test ride if you can and then make your own mind up.
I could see myself being tempted by a thou some day (there's just more choice than with a 750, and yeah to a degree I like a bike that looks nice too!).

However I haven't needed to think about it yet (although I haven't ridden the 750 nearly as much - it's been away for the last 2-3 months as I have 2 bikes & it's winter). It's plenty quick though - I saw 148 just before I put it away (err, on a private road occifer) and that was just after I changed up from 3rd, I think - either that or it was still in 3rd. It builds speed quickly enough for me, and I was approaching a car going about half my speed so had to bring it back down sharpish!

I get crap mileage though, I think I had 70 miles to the light once. Haha.

Oh yeah, and mine's a K8 not a K5 - just read the subject properly