SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-01-06, 05:21 PM   #1
independentphoto

Default Bike to Bike radio bargains................

Maplins are selling some kit on their website at the moment for much cheapness. Got to be worth a try. I've not tested the helmet speaker & mic yet.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ories&doy=31m1 at NORMALLY about £90,

and.....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ories&doy=31m1 at NORMALLY about £100

BOTH are discontinued radios, but you'll be able to get batteries or whatever for a good while yet. CLEARANCE PRICE for both kits £29.99--------- (edit) NOT! See below.

Cheers,

Garry
Old 31-01-06, 08:13 PM   #2
kjames

very tempted by a pair of these... although dont currently have any use for them as i have no motorbike buddies. and usually go out riding by myself or commuting to work.

btw, this isnt a cheap shot at getting some friends, probably prefer riding by myself at the mo.

so might buy some and put them in a drawer for a later date.

k
Old 31-01-06, 08:26 PM   #3
Skip
Mega Poster

Superb Garry - have ordered the Cobra one, cant go wrong for that sort of money!
Old 31-01-06, 08:39 PM   #4
Mariner

Am I missing something here, the item at £29.99 is the microphone only to get the kit you have to order a pair of radios and a pair of microphones. Then the kit cost is £59.99.
I can't see where it says the kit is £29.99!

Below is the info pasted from Maplins web-site.

Inter-bike communication is here!
Kit includes:
Two Cobra PMR two way radios
Two Helmet speaker and microphone kits

This product has been developed specifically to allow communication between bikers whilst on the road. The speakers fit easily and comfortably into the helmet and the mounted Push To Talk button means theres no need to take your hands off the handlebars. Included in the kit are two Cobra MT525 PMR446 two way radios which are compact and lightweight, making them ideal for longer rides & two helmet speaker/microphone kits. The normal price for all these when purchased separately would normally be 99.97 but bought as this kit these are a steal at
59.99, making this product excellent value and the perfect choice for any biker wanting instant communication.
Order 1 x N22BG & 2 x DS34 to benefit from this offer

According to the stock levels the radios are out of stock.
Old 31-01-06, 08:39 PM   #5
Samurai

looked at the site, is the £29.99 for single or Pair

Need them for open face helmets
Old 31-01-06, 08:49 PM   #6
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner
Am I missing something here, the item at £29.99 is the microphone only to get the kit you have to order a pair of radios and a pair of microphones. Then the kit cost is £59.99.
I can't see where it says the kit is £29.99!

Below is the info pasted from Maplins web-site.

Inter-bike communication is here!
Kit includes:
Two Cobra PMR two way radios
Two Helmet speaker and microphone kits

This product has been developed specifically to allow communication between bikers whilst on the road. The speakers fit easily and comfortably into the helmet and the mounted Push To Talk button means theres no need to take your hands off the handlebars. Included in the kit are two Cobra MT525 PMR446 two way radios which are compact and lightweight, making them ideal for longer rides & two helmet speaker/microphone kits. The normal price for all these when purchased separately would normally be 99.97 but bought as this kit these are a steal at
59.99, making this product excellent value and the perfect choice for any biker wanting instant communication.
Order 1 x N22BG & 2 x DS34 to benefit from this offer

According to the stock levels the radios are out of stock.
That will teach me to be quick at ordering things! You are quite right, it doesnt include the two-way radios for £29.99.... that will be my order cancelled then!!
Old 31-01-06, 09:35 PM   #7
kjames

well i've ordered one from the first link... and i think i get a pair, we'll see. i'm too tired to think too hard about it now.

k
Old 31-01-06, 09:49 PM   #8
independentphoto

OOPS! Sorry lads!

Quite misleading that. I thought that they were packed as a kit for the net due to being cleared out.

Never mind though. I'll get the helmet "wired" sooner or later and try it out with the radios I already had.

Cheers

Garry
Old 31-01-06, 10:20 PM   #9

Bought the cobra ones last year, work ok.
Old 01-02-06, 12:48 PM   #10
andy

I have had a set of these for a couple of years.

They are OK, the radios are fine, the problem is that the mics and headphones have weakish wires and the volume and quality is not good enough for over about 50mph.

But for the money......

The radios are great for skiing though!