SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 29-03-08, 12:50 AM   #1
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Knockhill track night anyone? Fri 18th April

I've banned myself from trackdays. But not track evenings The first one is rolling around on the 18th of April, which is my brother's birthday but that's OK, I have a spare. Anyone fancy it? I'm still not 100% myself but thought I'd put the word out...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-08, 10:57 AM   #2
Tiger 55

Default Re: Knockhill track night anyone? Fri 18th April

It's tempting...

*exhales* Want to do the Newcomers Track Day first though (109 quid!) because, yes, I really am that timid.
Old 29-03-08, 11:20 AM   #3
kitkat

ooh its after pay day maybe. not done one on raptor yet though. maybe maybe maybe lol

Tiger you dont need to pay more for newcomer. the evening things are quite quiet, you get instruction before going on and no one really bothers you and its about half the price normally
Old 29-03-08, 01:29 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Yeah, I did an evening one for my first as well, it was ideal. From the ones I've been in and watched, the novice group in the evening is way more novicey than the novice group on the full days is, you get more clowns in the wrong group at weekends. But the evening was a great intro to trackdays. Short sessions too, which would annoy me on a full day but it's quite good when you're just getting into it. Though that might have changed of course.

I'd be back in novice anyway, I'd do intermediate I suppose if there was an inters session but I'm definately not advanced and I won't be pulling out the stops either, if I do this one it'll be a bit more relaxed.

Last edited by northwind; 29-03-08 at 03:41 PM.
Old 29-03-08, 03:35 PM   #5
-Ralph-

How much is for the evening sessions?
Old 29-03-08, 03:40 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

http://www.knockhill.com/trackdays/index.php?page=1
£45. Which is actually pretty expensive for the tracktime you get to be honest, £55 gets you into one of the open pit day sessions (for comparison, the evenings I've done I think we did 28 fast laps, on the one open session half day I did I put in about 100 laps despite breaks and a crash). If you want top value, really the open pit days are the only option but they mix up the loons with the sane, the track bikes with the commuters... Not ideal. This is more expensive but more controlled.
Old 29-03-08, 04:24 PM   #7
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
http://www.knockhill.com/trackdays/index.php?page=1
£45. Which is actually pretty expensive for the tracktime you get to be honest, £55 gets you into one of the open pit day sessions (for comparison, the evenings I've done I think we did 28 fast laps, on the one open session half day I did I put in about 100 laps despite breaks and a crash). If you want top value, really the open pit days are the only option but they mix up the loons with the sane, the track bikes with the commuters... Not ideal. This is more expensive but more controlled.
Thanks. I may come along for that. What do they mean by "track bikes only"?

If you didn't really corner any faster or brake any later than you would on the road, would folk get ****ed off with you? I'd like to do a track day and get the benefits involved, but my bike is still relatively new what puts me off is I really don't want the upset nor the expense of binning it.

Can you turn up and pay on the gate once you know if the weather is dry? Does it cost anything to come and watch and get a feel for how it all works?
Do they insist on leathers and race boots, or are my usual textiles and aqua boots OK?

Sorry for the spanish inquisition

EDIT: Sorry, scratch all that. I found the FAQ page. I can't do it I don't have leathers. Might come up and say hello though if the weathers good.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 29-03-08 at 04:29 PM.
Old 29-03-08, 05:20 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

That's weird, I'm pretty sure that should say "Road bikes only", they'd have to be mental to run a novice session with track bikes only I'll drop them a wee email.

But aye, to answer the questions anyway, you need full leathers, either zip together or one-piece. Personally I'd feel safer in my Wolf leather-and-textile bottoms and Furygan leather jacket that don't zip together than I do in my cheapy FT suit, but that's by the by. Race boots not needed but if you turned up in flipflops I think they'll have some words. In theory you can book on the night but they do often sell out, me and Ianofbhills turned up for one and there were only advanced spaces, to which we said "b****r that"

(if I end up not going and there's anyone else who thinks they're my shape, let me know, my FT suit is already nicely crashed in so you'd be welcome to a lend- if you kill it you pay for it but if it gets a wee bit more scratched up, I don't really care)

You really can go out and ride as slow as you want... It might **** people off, but that's their problem. You're very unlikely to really slow anyone down, the only bad ones are the people on big bikes who can't corner as they're so unpredictable in bends but you can't pass them on the straights, I hate that. But it's the job of the person behind to pass, it's never your job to worry about the person behind. This is more or less what novice is for. You'd annoy people more by crashing and red flagging the session- that's one downer of these small sessions, you only get 4 or at most 5 sessions, so if one or more gets redflagged you lose a lot of time.

Viewing is free. Though frankly it's a wee bit boring. When we last did a real Ecosse track evening (couple of years ago) I think there were about 15 people there but only 5 on track.
Old 29-03-08, 07:45 PM   #9
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
That's weird, I'm pretty sure that should say "Road bikes only", they'd have to be mental to run a novice session with track bikes only I'll drop them a wee email.
Thanks for all the info Northy. The FAQ explains a "track bike" as being anything with lights and a sidestand, as opposed to a full on race bike, which are not allowed. It also says you can hire leathers, but I intend to buy some this summer so I can wait.
Old 30-03-08, 12:11 AM   #10
independentphoto

-RALPH-

We keep banging on and on about it for a reason, but here we go again........

I'm in the same boat as you - the bike (to me at least) is still pretty knew and expensive, so I don't want.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph-
the upset nor the expense of binning it.
Quedos is the same.

We'd recommend the Ron Haslam Race School at Donington (and will keep doing so until you're all sick hearing about it!). You could easily book for one of the sessions there, book a cheap return flight into East Midlands airport and do it in a day.

No leathers required.
No Gloves required
No Helmet required

No BIKE required

No Obscene insurance fees required etc - we watched a couple of fellas bin CBR600s & blades, and once they had been dusted down and checked by the medics, were given fresh bikes and sent back out (as long as that's what they wanted).

Top jolly that one! - We're going back again this year

Cheers,

Garry