SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-07-05, 04:39 PM   #1
Haxsaw

Default 749S or CityX?

Booked on test ride on a 749 and a Buell CityX next week (when weather's good). Anyone any (useful ) opinions on either?

Heart says 749, head says Buell (more likely to maintain clean license!), common sense says keep the SV

Hmmmm...
Old 22-07-05, 04:47 PM   #2
Jabba

Default Re: 749S or CityX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haxsaw
Heart says 749, head says Buell (more likely to maintain clean license!), common sense says keep the SV
Depends what you want from a bike and what you'll use it for. They are very different bikes.

Personally, I wouldn't spend my own money on a Buell at the moment..... too unreliable and unrefined. Sorry to say this, but lovely as it is, the Duke doesn't enjoy a much better reputation*

In your place and given only the above options I'd keep the SV.

Mind you, for similar money you could have a Fazer 1000.......

*no offence Peter Henry
Old 22-07-05, 04:50 PM   #3
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haxsaw
Booked on test ride on a 749 and a Buell CityX next week (when weather's good). Anyone any (useful ) opinions on either?

Hmmmm...

If those are the two choices - stay with what you've got

749 - Italian, Expensive, Dodgy Electrics (not as bad as they used to be though)

Buell - American, Cr*p Engine, Very Dodgy Looks

'Nuff said ???
Old 22-07-05, 05:17 PM   #4
Muttley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox
Very Dodgy Looks

'Nuff said ???
That's why it's called Personal Taste.

You can't really compare a 749S and CityX, they are two very different bikes, completely different riding styles and power delivery.

As has been said it depends what you want from your bike.

I bet you'll love the CityX, it's a hoot to ride.

Can't comment on the 749S as I haven't had the pleasure of riding one.
Old 22-07-05, 05:20 PM   #5
Jelster

Both machines do not deserve the "dodgy" reputations they have. Buells in fact seem to be reasonably reliable and the 749 is almost (but not quite) up to Japanese standards, the electrics are much better than they were a couple of years ago.

I can't understand why you have narrowed it down to these 2 particular machines as they are both very different. One is an exotic Italian sportsbike, the other an "Urban Hooligan". It really depends on where you ride and what you want to get from it, but for that sort of money, the Aprilia Tuono does a bit of both and is a class act. It will do the urban stuff well and is is a naked sports bike. You obviously want to stay with a vee twin, or if not, look at the Z1000, which again will do it all very well.

Old 22-07-05, 05:42 PM   #6
Haxsaw

TBH, I don't really know what I want - just fancy a change. The SV's still fun (and still better than me ) but I feel the need to try something else...

I was considering going naked purely so it's possible to have fun at lower speeds - even on the SV I'm finding it far too easy to hit the illegal zone! Did consider a Z750 originally but they're too normal - the Buell's 'way out there' and the sound's awsome. As for the Duke, it's sooo pretty and the handling's supposed to be out of this world

Probably just end up getting some new tyres for the SV in the end!
Old 22-07-05, 05:53 PM   #7
Cloggsy

Out of those two... The 749 would have the edge... I do like the Cityx, but not over a Ducati

Then again, I'm getting a KTM (eventually I'm sure (if the dealer gets his finger out of his @rse )
Old 22-07-05, 06:31 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

The CityX's easy- you'll either like it or you won't. Assuming that the demo bike I rode was typical, I'd just never use one for urban riding by choice- despite the way they're marketed the incredibly heavy clutch and horrible gearbox just ruined what should have been a great traffic-cutting bike. Loads of fun once it's going, though the gearbox was still feeble. And they look and sound abolutely out of this world. Once you get over the handling oddities they're great to chuck about and do stupid things on, and it just brought out Bad Northwind when I was filtering and overtaking- lunge!

I wouldn't trade a brand new one for my SV, I'll say that for sure. well, not unless I was allowed to sell it and buy another SV while pocketing the change.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-05, 08:52 PM   #9
Peter Henry

Cannot comment on the Buell but got plenty to say about the 749S as I am a proud owner of one and have just finished cleaning and prepping her ready for this weekends hooning in the hills!

ok downside first....I have had just one problem that could be pointed at Ducati ...namely the gear lever return spring broke thus making it impossible to change gear.Problem sorted with no fuss at all.
Unfortunately the mechanic did not fasten up a hose on the water pump and I just about made it home before the cooling system ran completely dry! Not good given the temps here! Enjoyed sorting that myself.

Third problem was created by yours truly when I f*cked something on the clutch hub when looking to fit my sexy red pressure plate and vented clutch cover.

Electrics? I am afraid that is a touch of give a brand a bad name etc. The electrics are as equal to the task as any other bike these days.

So now the good bits!

The beauty,the rarity,the detail, the admiring glances,the kudos.The real sense of less is more....that understated sexiness.

Your 749S will be matched by any of todays 600's but in reality I am afraid that they are 3 a penny in comparison.(Terminology used for affect not to insult anyone!)

If you think an SV has engine braking...you aint seen nothing yet! The brakes are simply awesome.I have found that to place my fingers of the right hand over the lever several seconds before I apply the lever creates smoother braking.Otherwise grabbing for the lever causes the bike to stand on it's head almost.

Although somewhat high geared you can potter in town...not that you would really be doing this much! But show one an open road with curves and those babies come alive! They have fantastic stonk from the motor from anything above 5'500revs...it all comes alive in a real frenetic ,mechanical maelstrom kind of way as the desmodronics go in to over drive.

In bends they go exactly where you aim them and are happy to be corrected mid turn if needed.The standard Michelin Sports are pretty good but you can get a whole lot more from the bike with better rubber.

Comfort? Well I am 5'11 and of quite a powerfull build,(according to Camilla!) and although the bike can look diminutive..I have never had any back,wrist or neck problems at all!

My relationship with my 749S is growing and growing and I have to say at this point I can't think what I would ever change it for. My intention right now is to see it become one of those very old bikes you see,ridden without mercy,but still looks a million dollars and runs well!

Unless that is Ducati bring out an affordable V-4 in the next few years or if Aprilia's mooted new model range does some big things with the Mille.(BTW Piaggio the new owners of aprilia called me from Italy today to do some market research, maybe they really are going to revamp the aprilia range?)
Old 22-07-05, 11:13 PM   #10
Jelster

I note Pete's comments on the brakes.... I did a test on a 749 last year and found something similar

http://www.urbanbiker.co.uk/reviews/749.htm