SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-12-20, 05:52 PM   #1971
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Front wheel bearings are getting done. As they're a PITA to do i've taken it down to the bike shop to do for me. It is the same cost for the tool (i'd only use for this) as they're charging me to remove the old ones and install the new ones.
I figured that's a better way to do it.
Next on the list is a new rear disc as that's at min wear thickness, and then need to change the pads too obviously.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-20, 07:30 PM   #1972
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
Front wheel bearings are getting done. As they're a PITA to do i've taken it down to the bike shop to do for me. It is the same cost for the tool (i'd only use for this) as they're charging me to remove the old ones and install the new ones.
Next on the list is a new rear disc as that's at min wear thickness, and then need to change the pads too obviously.
Sounds like a good idea, and saves you the hassle of doing it as well.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-20, 08:01 PM   #1973
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I'd make it match...that's not to say things can't spiral and you don't do the whole bike in 80's race stripes
Haha, I have a habit of changing my mind when well passed the point of no return, I'm currently thinking of a total retro repaint, just weighing up options and getting some opinions on here.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-20, 09:42 AM   #1974
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Haha, I have a habit of changing my mind when well passed the point of no return, I'm currently thinking of a total retro repaint, just weighing up options and getting some opinions on here.
Old 14-12-20, 06:07 PM   #1975
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Just bought some mid blue Suzuki paint so now going to repaint the seat hump as a test piece n see how it turns out in preparation for the blue/blue/white/red graphics, as per ...Team Suzuki Yoshimura livery.
If I like it I'll carry on the theme to the rest of the bodywork panel by panel.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-20, 10:31 PM   #1976
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Deep cleaned the VFR. Tried out the atomizer gun for the compressor I got a while back and covered it in ACF50. Then took it out for a bit and got it totally plastered in crud.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-20, 06:00 PM   #1977
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
I forgot the bonus warranty when getting things fitted at BMW - 2 year warranty included in the price.
That's a bit of peace of mind if they fail prematurely.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-20, 12:04 AM   #1978
svenrico

Quote:
I forgot the bonus warranty when getting things fitted at BMW - 2 year warranty included in the price.
That's a bit of peace of mind if they fail prematurely.
What bike is it ?
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-20, 11:08 AM   #1979
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Last few rides on the VFR have shown up the suspension being a 'bit' unbalanced. It doesn't feel anywhere near as stable and confidence inspiring as my previous one did and isn't as capable cornering. Which is strange as this one has a fancy Nitron R2 rear shock fitted with remote compression reservoir and preload adjuster too. But that also means some suspension work has been done on it previously and I don't know how well or by who. I have no clue at all what is in the forks as there's no stickers to indicate anything has changed from stock, but maybe it has?...

So it's a rainy day and I'm home so I'm finally finding the time to set up the sag. Only problem is even with the rear preload all the way in the static sag is only just getting to 28mm. I'm starting to think a previous owner has done something weird with spring rate? Possibly a (badly) lowered bike? But then the R2 shock is height adjustable and the height adjustment is jacked right up the full 10mm extra, which makes no sense. Seeing the shock on a VFR to get details off the spring isn't easy. Looks like it will be wheel off and a few other bits removed (possibly linkage out) to get it out of it's hidden away recess to read the info.

As for the front, I can just get it to 24mm of static sag with the preload all the way in. So i've got that 1/2 turn out to get 25mm. But that set up shouldn't be right. If it was stock springs in there then it should be somewhere near the mid-range of preload adjustment as my previous one was. Possibly worn springs? Shouldn't be that out of spec though at 35k miles. All a bit of a mystery. I may be looking at just getting new springs to be sure what's going on and starting from there. I wasn't planning on that expense right now though. Also, bad weather, lack of garage space and bad light is making working on bikes and keeping one in bits to work on very difficult. It's meant to be my winter bike too, so don't want it dismantled waiting on bits. I might have to put up with the bad handling for a while until the sun and dry weather comes back.

As an aside, if I get to it, does anyone know how to read Nitron spring codes?

Last edited by Adam Ef; 16-12-20 at 11:09 AM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-20, 03:15 PM   #1980
Bibio
Mega Poster

i take it to work out your static sag you have taken a measurement with the rear off the ground (free sag) then another with the bike on the ground upright then taken the free sag from the static sag..

the hand adjuster on nitron shocks is for carrying pillions and small sag adjustments. larger adjustments need to be made via the ring collar above which you need the pin tool for.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote