SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-02-07, 05:29 PM   #1
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Default Thoughts, please

Pete posted a couple of days ago in Tuning and Tweaking about our coolant drain bolt suddenly coming out while we were riding. He was interested to hear if anyone had ever experienced or heard of such a thing happening before. It seems that no-one ever has.

So here's the thing. If you were then informed that this bolt had come out within the first 20 miles after the bike had been serviced, what would your thoughts be?

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-07, 05:39 PM   #2
Ceri JC

Default Re: Thoughts, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
So here's the thing. If you were then informed that this bolt had come out within the first 20 miles after the bike had been serviced, what would your thoughts be?
The obvious inital conclusion would be that they had fiddled with it during the service and not done it up properly. It does baffle me how often this sort of thing happens. Even from otherwise very good garages, I've collected my bike only to have things come loose straight after. I think it's probably a case of them either not doing them up more than finger tight, or not torquing them up sufficiently and they shake themselves loose soon after. For example, I visually checked my bike over before collecting it, it looked fine. 10 miles later and back at home and the rear master cylinder (which I knew they had been working on- they were fixing the rear brake) had very nearly come off.

What mile service was it? Do you know if they claim to of changed the coolant on the service sheet? It's possible it could be coeincidence, but if it was due on the service schedule, it seems to definately point towards them.
Old 20-02-07, 08:55 PM   #3
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Lissa, I'll go Ceri JC ie depends on if they coolant change was in the service.
That not being the case then they only thing I can think of is some service monkey mistook the collant drain for something else and then didn't do it up properly. That in it's self would be worrying.

Again maybe just a co-incidence. Main thing for now(but you already knew that) is that there was no major incident.

Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-07, 09:13 PM   #4
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Yeah you've got to watch who works on your bike. Just this weekend my bike came back with the clutch lever totally loose
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-07, 09:57 PM   #5
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Yeah you've got to watch who works on your bike. Just this weekend my bike came back with the clutch lever totally loose

Cheeky monkey. I didn't touch the bolts so it must have been you

Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-07, 09:36 AM   #6
kwak zzr

this is why i like to do my own servicing.
Old 22-02-07, 12:05 PM   #7
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
this is why i like to do my own servicing.
Yep. After I've fiddled with the bike it takes me about 2 miles to get my faith back in the bike. After someone else has had it, it's nearer 100. I think this definately in part due to the fact that I have never had anything come loose (or indeed, I've not forgotten to refit anything) after I've worked on my bike, whereas 3 times when garages have had it (3 different garages as it happens), I've had things done up wrong.