SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

East Anglian Revolution If you're based in East Anglia, then this could be for you.

Old 10-11-10, 09:44 AM   #1
Reeder

Default Joy for those who use this section of the A14 :)

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/de...?storyId=22747
Old 10-11-10, 09:49 AM   #2
speedplay

Default Re: Joy for those who use this section of the A14 :)

Forward facing cameras....
Old 10-11-10, 09:53 AM   #3
-Ralph-

Brilliant cameras IMO. The only type of speed camera I like, doesn't make any money, cos nobody speeds, so nobody gets any fines. Does exactly what it says on the tin, reduces speed over a whole stretch of road, not just 100 yds, and improves road safety. I just hope Cambridgeshire Police don't think that because nobody is speeding, that means they don't have to patrol the roads to catch drunk drivers and tailgaiters.

I hate Gatsos and Speed Camera vans. They are only there to catch people out an generate easy stealth tax revenue, and they achieve nothing in terms of road safety. The really annoying thing with the vans especially, is the taxpayer is already paying for a vehicle and a person to sit in it, so why the hell don't they spend that money on a police officer in a car or on a bike?
Old 10-11-10, 10:10 AM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

Ok, they might have slowed the traffic down on this stretch so there's less fatalities, but the road is so congested that it slows every thing down, and there's still as many accidents and break downs which makes it my most loathed stretch of the A14.

As part of the spending cuts they aren't going to widen it either

People still slow down for the cameras, so you still get the stop start stop start driving, just less so than when the fixed cameras were there.

I can see how anyone can speed there during the day, so how can the cameras raise any money?
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 10:36 AM   #5
keith_d
Mega Poster

Maybe I'm being cynical, but I'd like a bit more information about the road safety statistics before I believe them.

Given the low frequency of accidents, there's bound to be quite a bit of variation from year to year. Cameras are most likely to be installed following a particularly bad year. Consequently, most sites will show an improvement after the cameras were installed. It would be interesting to see how the figures compared over a longer period, but I'd imagine the speed camera partnerships won't be rushing to do any longer term analysis with figures adjusted for traffic volumes. It might put them out of a job!

Keith.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 10:44 AM   #6
-Ralph-

SPECS camera's might put them out of a job, 'cos they don't need reloaded with film, the systems connects up with the DVLA and issues tickets automatically, and they don't make any money.
Old 11-11-10, 08:21 PM   #7

good its a **** section of road
Old 15-11-10, 10:44 PM   #8
seedy100

I would be convinced or the "Road Safety" argument for deploying cameras if the law was changed so that the penalty for being caught was changed to points only.
No issues of revenue raising
No incentive to put them in the wrong place, and,
The entire justification for deploying them becomes the money they supposedly save on accident costs.

QED
Old 16-11-10, 12:01 AM   #9
sauluk

These cameras cost a fortune though, for anyone that knows the m4 on the welsh side, I'd hate to think how much all that has cost!! You're right saying they do their job and I'm a big advocate just for that reason. A pinch of common sense should be taken with them though, I mean 50mph on a motorway?? Sitting on that at night with not a car in sight at 50mph is terrible!!
Was: Blue SK5
Was: KMX125.. stolen..
sauluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-10, 12:29 AM   #10
beabert

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
SPECS camera's might put them out of a job, 'cos they don't need reloaded with film, the systems connects up with the DVLA and issues tickets automatically, and they don't make any money.
Id always assumed they all did that lol.