SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-03-06, 10:18 AM   #1
PsychoCannon

Default M1 Lane Expansion Warning - SPECS Cameras

http://www.hertsdirect.org/yrccounci...eases/12747899

Anyone that does or will be using the M1 during the Road Widening (starting March 21st) there will be speeding restrictions of 40mph.

However, if you speed up between the speed cameras you will get a ticket as the new cameras calculate your speed between the cameras as well.

You have been warned!
(although as has been pointed out, getting over 20mph in rush hour is a
miracle)
Old 16-03-06, 10:38 AM   #2
tricky

Didn't they have those on the roadworks on the M6 ?

As speed cameras go, at least you don't get done if your speed creeps over the limit for a few seconds.
Old 16-03-06, 10:38 AM   #3
Anonymous

Yup.

Its the same on the M62 from Leeds towards Manchester.

The overhead gantries which give warnings such as "tiredness kills - take a break" etc, have SPECS cameras in them. You go under one, it takes your plate. You go under the next, it reads your plate again - works out the distance and time - gives your speed - if over the average speed limit - you get done.

Take care folks.
Old 16-03-06, 12:57 PM   #4
mac608

Quote:
The overhead gantries which give warnings such as "tiredness kills - take a break" etc, have SPECS cameras in them. You go under one, it takes your plate. You go under the next, it reads your plate again - works out the distance and time - gives your speed - if over the average speed limit - you get done.

How long has that been in place? Or is it another urban myth?

SPECS are all forward facing ( at least the ones I've come across) so it won't work on bikes - no front number plate .
mac608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-06, 12:59 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Am I alone in feeling a temptation to clone a vehicle and co-ordinate going through these SPECS cameras to see what maximum speed you could record (someone did it in Australia I recall). Over 10,000mph anyone??
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-06, 01:02 PM   #6
Captain Nemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyerkneedown
Yup.

Take care folks.
no you dont. well not always

i work as an engineer for the agency that manages motorway and trunk roads in west yorkshire, all otyher areas of the country work to roughly the same guidlines, someareas trial ideqas before they get rolled out to the uk network. specs cameras as far as i know will never display your speed then prosecute, they just prosecute.

most of the cameras on bridges and gantrys are either for us to check traffic flow for incident management or trafficmaster or other such subscription services.

we do use specs a specs type system to monitor traffic speeds in road works sites, but this is more to raise public awareness of their speed and the danger that excessive speed can present to workers within that site.

in reality the police are pretty much anable to monitor traffic within traffic management because of the restrictions and lack of obs platforms, specs makes it easier to monitor, we sometimes use gatsos, but this is often difficult as traffic management is usually fluid and alters to suit requirements as works are completed and new area opened up.

there is currently a big push regarding speeding in traffic management , the company i work for IIRC, lost 4 or 5 men last year in accidents where drivers failed to negotiate traffic management, all tragically lost because many drivers dont think that speed limits in TM means them................
Old 16-03-06, 01:06 PM   #7
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Nemo
Quote:
Originally Posted by getyerkneedown
Yup.

Take care folks.
no you dont. well not always

i work as an engineer for the agency that manages motorway and trunk roads in west yorkshire, all otyher areas of the country work to roughly the same guidlines, someareas trial ideqas before they get rolled out to the uk network. specs cameras as far as i know will never display your speed then prosecute, they just prosecute.

most of the cameras on bridges and gantrys are either for us to check traffic flow for incident management or trafficmaster or other such subscription services.

we do use specs a specs type system to monitor traffic speeds in road works sites, but this is more to raise public awareness of their speed and the danger that excessive speed can present to workers within that site.

in reality the police are pretty much anable to monitor traffic within traffic management because of the restrictions and lack of obs platforms, specs makes it easier to monitor, we sometimes use gatsos, but this is often difficult as traffic management is usually fluid and alters to suit requirements as works are completed and new area opened up.

there is currently a big push regarding speeding in traffic management , the company i work for IIRC, lost 4 or 5 men last year in accidents where drivers failed to negotiate traffic management, all tragically lost because many drivers dont think that speed limits in TM means them................
Perhaps the police are trying to get this system in place. I cant remember where i read it (wasnt the main stream media) it was some police publication about speeders and the offences on our motorways etc, but they said that the gantries had the devices in. Im not going to take the risk in case they are telling the truth.
Old 16-03-06, 01:28 PM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee
Am I alone in feeling a temptation to clone a vehicle and co-ordinate going through these SPECS cameras to see what maximum speed you could record (someone did it in Australia I recall). Over 10,000mph anyone??
I have had the same thought about getting 100 plates made up with the same number, then co-ordinating around the country a mass ride by of gatsos!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-06, 01:36 PM   #9
Gnan

no gantries are used for speed enforcement. the only type-approved fixed device is SPECS for average speed measurement and GATSO/Peek/Truvelo/Redspeed for fixed one off measurements.

the cameras you sometimes see on the bottom of gantries are traffic master cameras which use ANPR to measure traffic density
Old 16-03-06, 01:38 PM   #10
Gnan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Nemo
h regarding speeding in traffic management , the company i work for IIRC, lost 4 or 5 men last year in accidents where drivers failed to negotiate traffic management, all tragically lost because many drivers dont think that speed limits in TM means them................
but the highways agency released a report saying that 1% of accidents in roadworks was caused by speeding and that speed cameras (particularly GATSOs which cause panic braking which is lethal on a motorway) made it worse!