SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 04-10-15, 08:20 AM   #1
Nomad Z

Default Fitting Heated Grips to an SFV650

Got a set of Oxford Touring grips yesterday, and have some questions...

What's involved with getting the old grips off? Are they held on by friction, or are they glued? The bike has bar ends, so it should be straightforward to get a thin screwdriver between them and the bar /throttle tube.

The grips come with a tube of superglue, and I also got a tube of Renthal grip glue. The Oxford blurb says to wait 24 hours, while the Renthal says 8 hours. Are those times realistic? Too short? Over-cautious?

What's a good way to mount the controller on the SFV? I haven't had a close look at the bars/fittings yet, but I'd like it up near the clutch end rather than down on the yoke. I kinda expected the kit to come with a round thing to fit round the bar, but it's just a flat plate and some M6 bolts. What does it fit to?
Old 04-10-15, 11:26 AM   #2
Nomad Z

Default Re: Fitting Heated Grips to an SFV650

How about Araldite Rapid? Or if the positioning time is too short with that, standard Araldite and running the grips to speed up the drying time?
Old 04-10-15, 12:20 PM   #3
Nutsinatin

Hairspray is good for sliding grips on and holding them in place, not sure if the stock grips are held on with friction or glue as both my SV's have been second hand, the best way I've found to get them off is some washing up liquid for lubrication and then using a flathead screwdriver for leverage ease them off. However I've cut grips off before when they've been less compliant. I've used grips glued with the Renthal glue gently after 20 mins (no heat) and like normal the next day. Currently my heated grips are held on with Araldite just under each end (lifted up with a screwdriver and glued each end) as whatever was holding them on previously melted during the summer - been like this for a few months with no issue.
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-15, 04:16 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

Use a thin screwdriver and open up the grip on the bar and squirt wd40 inside and rotate the screwdriver. The grip will slide off real easy.

Hairspray is good for normal grips, but im not sure about heated ones. Id use the glue they came with
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-15, 05:32 PM   #5
Nomad Z

Thanks all. screwdriver and WD40 it is. I don't think hairspray is an option because the Oxford grips have a plastic tube inside. I'm tempted to go with Araldite Rapid and run the grips warm to accelerate the curing (apparently improves bond strength as well).
Old 08-10-15, 06:35 PM   #6
Nomad Z

Fitted the grips today. Screwdriver and WD40 worked fine. The most time consuming bit was preparing the throttle tube - needed to smooth out the raised ridges that mated with the original grip, as well as remove flanges from both ends. Wire cutters to remove the bulk, then a file to get the bumps off.

I ended up using the Renthal grip glue because the mechanical fit was pretty tight in any case - no fear of them rotating a couple of hours after gluing (which was kinda why I was considering Araldite rapid).

Fitted the controller onto the mounting for the left-hand mirror, with the bracket bent a bit to get it to a better angle. Easy to see, and easy to get to with the thumb. I don't feel much of a click from the buttons, but they seem to respond fine without issue - no mis-presses.

The acid test is tomorrow's morning commute, but a half hour ride in 12° suggests that they'll be fine. I would say the very tips of the fingers were still a bit cold, but everything else was good. No feeling of thawing out when I got home. They got up to temperature quite quickly - within about a mile of town riding. The 75% and 100% settings are pretty hot - 100% is almost too much.