SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 06-11-09, 11:22 AM   #1
Quedos

Default GM3 26/27th June 2010 General info thread

Sat 26th - Sun 27th June 2010

So until further threads have been created please use this thread for ideas etc etc and attendees

Accom - Beinglas Campsite Inveranan
routes to be discussed however anyone with areas they really would like to visit let us know and we'll take all sensible ideas on board

only TWO rules for the thread
play nice
have fun!

Sticky for links to all related threads.

Last edited by Kilted Ginger; 26-01-10 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-11-09, 09:19 AM   #2
petevtwin650

Default Re: GM3 26th -27th June 2010 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quedos View Post
the GM2 was a victim ( northy will correct me) of its own planning - we shorten it so that if we had any delays like we had on GM1 we would still be okay time wise. it ran smoother hence the early back -
I thought there was mention of a couple of bikes being equipped with spare levers, fixer pegs, zip ties and puncture repair kits for GM2. One of these bikes would stay with the stricken rider whilst the rest of the ride went on undelayed. The assist rider would know the route plan and after the repair was effected, the two bikes could perhaps shortcut to the next stop point or something.

If that were a feasible idea for GM3, then rather than rely on donations of parts, perhaps a small registration fee of a couple of quid could cover the cost of two sets of Ebay levers, 2 fixer pegs, sundry zipties, couple of footpumps and two puncture repair kits.
Old 10-11-09, 09:47 AM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
We go directly by M/way. Ralph went the scenic route. Both a lot of riding, especially if you're not used to it
Me Grace and ollie rode for around 12 hours that day, I enjoyed it though - added like an extra day to the adventure

Quote:
If that were a feasible idea for GM3, then rather than rely on donations of parts, perhaps a small registration fee of a couple of quid could cover the cost of two sets of Ebay levers, 2 fixer pegs, sundry zipties, couple of footpumps and two puncture repair kits.
Good idea, however, possibly needless between us we surely must have that stuff anyway so it'd just be a case of one person giving up their part (tempting fate for them needing it themself ) and then just getting the borrower to replace it when we're all home. I carry a spare clutch and brake lever and puncture repair kit with me everywhere. Might be a good idea double checking we do have the right stuff between us though!

Spare chains and sprockets on the other hand......

Last edited by Dave20046; 10-11-09 at 09:48 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 10:11 AM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

you wouldn't believe what some of us carry as spares.
I have fixer pegs, jubilee clips, exhaust gaskets(go figure!) clutch, brake, cable ties etc etc carried in my tailpack for curvy emergencies. They all just get thrown in and forgotten about.

It has been known for YC to carry a spare cylinder head on the back of his bike for me.....yes it is true!!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 11:52 AM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
I bet if you asked how many people have the most basic of spares, or even a toolkit come to, that you'd be surprised at how few have them. Let alone recovery to get them home again.
Thats very true, but surely the responsibility is on us as riders to make sure we do have spares / recovery in place, rather than the ride organisers etc ?

Personally I dont like relying on other people to get me out of a spot. So I take enough spares that I know how to fit anything else its recovery time and I woudlnt expect the whole ride to stop and wait if I was going to be stranded for a while...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-09, 06:52 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I've split the recovery / breakdown discussion into Pete's existing thread in bike's talk and issues, you'll find them here

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=142389

Edit - All the off topic, chat etc etc I have deleted now, it occurs to me that I should dumped them into a GMIII banter type thread, but I dont really wanna trawl through it all again...

I've left the ideas / discussion over venue posts alone and tried to preserve the flow of the thread, if anybody really wants their posts put back then please let me, Kilted Ginger or Northwind know...

Cheers

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition

Last edited by fizzwheel; 13-11-09 at 07:18 PM.
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-09, 12:40 AM   #7
Kilted Ginger

Quote:
I thought there was mention of a couple of bikes being equipped with spare levers, fixer pegs, zip ties and puncture repair kits for GM2. One of these bikes would stay with the stricken rider whilst the rest of the ride went on undelayed. The assist rider would know the route plan and after the repair was effected, the two bikes could perhaps shortcut to the next stop point or something.

Pete i know this seems like a good idea and we have discussed it in person before however i feel it has some problems. Frankly (not meaning to be harsh) This can put a lot of pressure on whover is carrying the spares, it also gives a huge get out clause for those who tend not to prepare well anyway. Think it needs to remain that every individual is responsible for their own bike and spares, having recovery service and emergency plan, just as it is their responsibility for road tax insurance etc. That being said some of us do carry excess spares etc and would always help out in a jam as always but not keen on nominating actual fixers, sorry pete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Thats very true, but surely the responsibility is on us as riders to make sure we do have spares / recovery in place, rather than the ride organisers etc ?
couldnt agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepreston View Post
would me tipping up just for a drinking session be acceptable as i no longer ride (especially up there)
More than welcome mate, if my oh is not going you are more than welcome to go pillion if it suits. Alternatively of you want to get the train up rather than driving I can collect / drop off etc
Old 20-11-09, 12:53 AM   #8
ManxMatt34

Default Re: GM3 26/27th June 2010 General info thread

With all the talk of spares, i had a browse a few pages back to see what we were talking about.

I assume the list can go on and on and on... but realisticly what would people take as standard spares/useful bits, on a weekend or even just a day rideout.

I hope thats not too off topic but might give people especially myself an idea of what to bring for gm and future meets. Also any links to ordering some of the suggested things online would be much appriciated as you can't get anything on the isle of man.
Old 20-11-09, 01:50 AM   #9
Kilted Ginger

Default Re: GM3 26/27th June 2010 General info thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManxMatt34 View Post
realisticly what would people take as standard spares/useful bits, on a weekend or even just a day rideout.
Personally;

ICE details (emergency contact details including any medical conditions)
Driving licence, roadtax, insurance details
Mobile phone
Breakdown cover
Spare bulbs
Puncture repair
Foot pump
Brake, clutch and gear lever spares if you have them
FIXERPEG
Basic toolkit
Torch
Cable ties
insulating or duck tape
Small medical kit

reads like a lot but ist actually and does not take much space
Old 20-11-09, 03:46 AM   #10
davepreston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Ginger View Post
More than welcome mate, if my oh is not going you are more than welcome to go pillion if it suits. Alternatively of you want to get the train up rather than driving I can collect / drop off etc
mmmm train up and back = more drinking time mmmmmmm
think i may take you up on that bruv

as for pillon thanks but no thanks im a control freak and detest being pillon, just ask badger lol