SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-01-23, 04:55 PM   #261
redtrummy

Default Re: The Veg Plot.

I am in total agreement re using native plants - the only problem though with Hawthorn and other spiky bushes is collecting up the hedge cuttings - I finally resorted to using the lawnmower and then into the compost bin.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-23, 06:26 PM   #262
garynortheast
Mega Poster

A solid day in the garden today. Made some progress. Chipped the rest of the box hedge I took out, picked up masses of plastic that was scattered around the garden, and cut back the ivy on the falling down back fence and the dead tree. I've had to lean a couple of old sheets of plywood against the fence to cover the gap and to stop it falling over completely. The garden looks much bigger with a lot of the ivy gone.
The holly tree to the right of the ivy covered stump is going to be getting a very serious haircut shortly as it's hanging a long way out over what will be a veg bed.

I shall call the council maintenance folks later this week and see about getting the boundary fences sorted too. When I moved in I thought it would be up to me to deal with the fences but guy from the maintenance dept. says it's their responsibilty. Happy days!

The shed roof is now off as well. The two chaps who came to do it were excellent and very efficient.

The builders are coming tomorrow to start on the brickwork and windows. I'm supposed to be going to Shrewsbury to do an IT job for someone, but I've rescheduled it for next week as I want to be here when the builders start the job.

The weather is meant to be a bit drier this week so I shall have another day in the garden tomorrow. More plastic collecting, and maybe try and get a second raised bed built.

I need to decide what to do with the huge pile of ivy as well. Ideally it needs chopping up into tiny little bits and composting. I'm wondering who I know with a heavy duty lawn mower......
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-23, 07:44 PM   #263
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I have a multi-blade shredder you can borrow, but as you know I'm a few hours away from you...
Old 23-01-23, 08:24 PM   #264
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Thanks for the kind offer Trevor, I fear you are just a bit too far away to make it a viable option!
Old 24-01-23, 09:48 AM   #265
garynortheast
Mega Poster

The builders are coming today to make a start on the shed which will become my potting shed when it's done. I suspect they will be here for a few days as the shed needs a pretty extensive rebuild from about halfway up the brickwork, with new roof timbers and a new window. As I want to be here while they are working on the shed it gives me a perfect excuse to be in the garden all week, getting it ready for the growing season.

I think todays tasks will be chopping up all the ivy ready for composting, digging out some of the bramble root plates, and building a second, and possibly a third raised bed. I'm off to an organic seed potato day at the start of next month, so I shall have to make sure I have a suitable area ready for planting the tubers when they have chitted.

I also have a large collection of various flower and veg seeds that need sorting through. Some of them are much too old to be viable any longer, so that looks like a job to be tackled indoors with a cup of tea by my side.
Old 24-01-23, 11:40 AM   #266
Stilo

Can you borrow a pig? it would soon sort out the brambles
Old 24-01-23, 11:53 AM   #267
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilo View Post
Can you borrow a pig? it would soon sort out the brambles
Ha ha! Not really enough brambles to keep a pig entertained for any more than half an hour. I may also end up with a telling off from the council housing department.
Old 24-01-23, 06:46 PM   #268
garynortheast
Mega Poster

No builders after all today. They're coming tomorrow morning, and they're bringing a skip with them, which is good as I can lob the small amount of rubble and all the bits of rotten old wood I have into it.

Another day spent trying to get some shape on the garden. Lots more plastic collected, all the ivy chopped up and put into the compost bin, along with the clippings from the boundary hedge. I gave it a bit of a haircut but still need to go next door and finish the job from my neighbour's garden.

Pictures are poor quality as it was quite dusk when I took them.

Took the mattock to the roots and stumps of the box hedge and the largest of the bramble root plates. I think I've also managed to remove the last of the membrane from the beds, so once I've done a final check I will decide just where the new beds will be and cover the ground with a layer of cardboard and then mulch it with well rotted horse poo and composted wood chip. I'm starting to see the shape of the garden now which is encouraging.

My first compost bin is now full, which means I need to get some more pallets to make my other two bins. There's a place down the road in Llansantffraid which often has them going free so I'll call them tomorrow and see if I can go and get some.

I also reported the falling down fence via PCC's online repair request page. Within two hours someone phoned me back to say they had arranged for a visit to look at the job on 9th February. new boundary fences coming up hopefully.

I shall water the compost heap with urine to help get it going and then cover it to try and get it a bit warmer. It's got a lot of fresh greenery in it so it's going to take a while to start working I think.
Old 28-01-23, 02:58 PM   #269
garynortheast
Mega Poster

A friend came over yesterday with a long handled pruning tool and a battery powered pruning chainsaw on a long, extendable handle. We spent the afternoon tackling the overhanging holly tree and ivy and took a lot of the lower stuff off. It's all gone back over the fence onto the property of the tree owner. The area we chucked it onto appears to be a bit of a dumping ground below the big shed/barn they own. My understanding is that I can't keep the prunings even if I wanted to (which I don't) so I'm happy to give it all back to them.

The chaps rebuilding the shed are going to replace this boundary fence when the shed is finished, hopefully by Wednesday. Be good to get rid of the scrappy, tatty netting there at the moment.

This fence is going to be done very soon as well. Someone from the council maintenance department is coming to look at at and get things moving on 9th February. It needs doing as it's on the point of falling down!

Feels like progress is being made. Just about to put a seed order in with Garden Organic, and a few of us are off to an organic seed potato fair next weekend. Don't I live an exciting life?

The upshot is that I need to get the veg beds ready pretty rapidly, and find a decent, second hand greenhouse. Lots of them about on FB Marketplace so it shouldn't be too difficult.

I'm also now starting to collect pallets with which to build a workshop, as I want that sorted this summer.

It's all go at the Northeast Palace (well, bungalow )
Old 28-01-23, 04:22 PM   #270
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Keeps you busy Gary, and projects like this with a nice productive space at the end of it are well worthwhile.