SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-09-06, 03:38 PM   #1
Baph

Default Attempted Theft Foiled

Sat here skiving, err, working (honest boss), and I heard an alarm sounding. The guy sat opposite me looks up at the exact same time & says "Is that your alarm going of??" just as I was thinking the same.

So I quickly unplugged the HP SureStore DAT24 drive I have on my desk & pretty much ran past my boss muttering words like "take this drive out of my wages" (they're pretty heavy brick objects).

I get outside, and see four blokes holding short scaffolding poles, shout obsenities & wave the brick that eats magnetic tapes, and they jumped into the van & scarpered.

I've now checked the bike over a little, and reported the matter to the non-emergency police call centre (as I didn't deem it worthy of a 999 call since they'd legged it). My bike starts fine but I haven't tested it much more than that. I've also emailed the guy with the Bandit parked next to mine to let him know what happened so he can check his out too.

I guess that £30 cyclone alarm was worth it, even though it's not properly fitted yet! The bike had a disc lock on it, but I think it's time to invest in a nice heavy chain!

For anyone considering buying a cheap alarm, it's probably just saved me my bike!
Old 12-09-06, 03:41 PM   #2
Filipe M.

Default Re: Attempted Theft Foiled

Ouch, glad to hear you caught them on time!
Old 12-09-06, 03:55 PM   #3
mattSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
Sat here skiving, err, working (honest boss), and I heard an alarm sounding. The guy sat opposite me looks up at the exact same time & says "Is that your alarm going of??" just as I was thinking the same.

So I quickly unplugged the HP SureStore DAT24 drive I have on my desk & pretty much ran past my boss muttering words like "take this drive out of my wages" (they're pretty heavy brick objects).

I get outside, and see four blokes holding short scaffolding poles, shout obsenities & wave the brick that eats magnetic tapes, and they jumped into the van & scarpered.

I've now checked the bike over a little, and reported the matter to the non-emergency police call centre (as I didn't deem it worthy of a 999 call since they'd legged it). My bike starts fine but I haven't tested it much more than that. I've also emailed the guy with the Bandit parked next to mine to let him know what happened so he can check his out too.
I guess that £30 cyclone alarm was worth it, even though it's not properly fitted yet! The bike had a disc lock on it, but I think it's time to invest in a nice heavy chain!

For anyone considering buying a cheap alarm, it's probably just saved me my bike!
If there is nothing solid that you can chain your bike to, then it might be worth asking if bandit boy will let you link chains with his (if he has one)
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 03:57 PM   #4
Kylie

Any idea what they were going to do with the scaffolding poles?
Old 12-09-06, 03:58 PM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV
if bandit boy will let you link chains with his (if he has one)
He doesn't, but cheers for the thought. I'd already mentionned that to him before this so hopefully now he'll think seriously about getting a chain. Good thing is we both work in the same company. Everyone leaves at the same time (5:30) so it doesn't matter if we chain to each other's wheels. We always have a bit of a chat as we're getting ready to set off anyway.

In future though, I think mine will be parked between his Bandit & the big metal railings just to make it that bit harder!

Edit: Kylie, by the looks, 4 blokes, 2 at each wheel and a van parked near it with the back doors open. I'd say scaffold poles through the wheels & lift the bike into the back. Good job I park just across the road from the office! That and the alarm making them pause for a second (I'm guessing) means I got out there before they had my bike off the floor.
Old 12-09-06, 03:59 PM   #6
anna
Mega Poster

blinkin heck .. glad you avoided that one.. but beware as they may try again if they think there is a chance of getting it next time!!
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 03:59 PM   #7
Ping

So glad you scared them off...

My dad told me about his workmate who had some 'special' £18k-ish bike parked outside their building (somewhere around Old St, London E1 or something). They heard an alarm going off, looked out the window to see some blokes trying to wheel it into a van.

Didn't ask what floor they work on but by the time he got down to the road the thieves were gone... with his bike.
Old 12-09-06, 03:59 PM   #8
DanAbnormal

Hoorah, so glad you caught the feckers in time! I'm fairly lukcy in that we have a secure underground car park at work. Still an alarm is a good buy.

Dan
Old 12-09-06, 04:07 PM   #9
DoubleD

bl00dy hell! Glad they legged it without your bike, did you get a reg. no. to give to the police??
Old 12-09-06, 04:14 PM   #10
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleD
bl00dy hell! Glad they legged it without your bike, did you get a reg. no. to give to the police??
Unfortunately not. Situation being what it was I was more concerned with my bike. Was just a plain white van too.

The plus side is that Denbigh is a very small town, and everyone knows everyone else. So I'll resort to the grapevine to see if that turns anything out. Better than relying on Plod to catch 4 guys with only a basic description and a plain white van. No CCTV either