SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 28-06-07, 10:48 PM   #1
2mths

Default Preparations for the AR continue late into the night - aka Fitting a Fenda Extenda...

Last edited by 2mths; 28-06-07 at 10:51 PM.
Old 28-06-07, 11:20 PM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: Preparations for the AR continue late into the night - aka Fitting a Fenda Extenda...

Drills, WTF. simply glue it in place with a bit of epoxy resin. sixoflex or similar, ie sticky. and job done. personally I use a couple of G clamps to secure it until it sets and fit/forget. no holes/ no screws and if anal, fill the gap and spray to match as an extended front mudguard
Old 28-06-07, 11:25 PM   #3
2mths

Default Re: Preparations for the AR continue late into the night - aka Fitting a Fenda Extenda...

Opinionated indeed.

I followed the instructions I had. You think people to do it different I suggest you give the info before not after.

Glue and I'd struggle to remove it again, this way I can, granted leaving some 3/32" holes. I don't much like the look of the screws, but I would actually prefer to catch a glimpse of them than look at a bad spray job.
Old 28-06-07, 11:44 PM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

Sorry, I obviously struck a raw nerve.

There have been lots of posts on fixing fender extenders and a quick search would have given you load of useful advice.

However. The thought of fixing screws so close to my tyres fills me with horror. don't get me wrong. In theory the mudguard and tyre will never ever meet. But ...... I don't trust theories and live in the real world where sods law also applies.
Old 29-06-07, 09:13 AM   #5
MiniMatt

TBH I never completely trusted glue, it's just that you can't see it working, like it's magic or something Screws you can see and tighten if necessary
Old 29-06-07, 09:20 AM   #6
2mths

Thanks timwilky - having just done plucked up the nerve to do it I was feeling a bit tender.

I must admit I just took the guide on the main site as lore and followed that.

On the screw front I put the side ones in first, fitted it up and checked the clearances. The side ones have a lot of clearance and I could get my hand up inside the guard where the middleish ones go. However with those I still put them away from the absolute middle and having fitted them I took a Dremel to all the screw tips so they are almost flush with the plastic

I have serious wet weather running problems, so I had to fit this if I wanted to consider taking it out in wet weather again.

I'm a bit overkeen on taking photo's. It's my record of what I've done and when. I thought some of them might be useful (better presented) to anyone else doing this and deciding to use screws at a later date.
Old 29-06-07, 09:40 AM   #7
kwak zzr

my glue'd extender kept dropping off so i screw'd you'll need that extender this weekend, good luck
Old 29-06-07, 02:15 PM   #8
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMatt View Post
TBH I never completely trusted glue, it's just that you can't see it working, like it's magic or something
Its just overlaping atomic orbitals

Matt
Old 29-06-07, 03:35 PM   #9
MiniMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
Its just overlaping atomic orbitals

Matt
Also known as ..... magic!
Old 30-06-07, 09:20 AM   #10
fullstop102

If you don't like glue and don't like screws then how about using rivets. They are better and tighter than screws and also flush. Screwing and cutting off the excess is okay but if the screw comes out a bit there is not much screw until it falls off!