SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-03-17, 04:37 PM   #1
bathwiggle

Default Biking and Rheumatoid Arthritis

Hello all,

I haven't been here in ages, but was wondering if anyone has been diagnosed with RA, and still managing to bike.

I've spent a year with doctors trying to work out whats causing me pain, and their best suggestion is this. Theyve started me on medication and it seems to be helping, but i'm impatient and having not ridden in best part of a year im fed up.

I managed to ride about 60miles last august and was in agony (on my SV), does anyone have suggestions, i was wondering if a new bike might be lighter on my hands, but dont really want to go get one and find out that its not helping.

Any suggestions?
Old 18-03-17, 06:06 PM   #2
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Biking and Rheumatoid Arthritis

Sorry to hear of your grief mate, where is the RA getting you (sounds like your wrists?)

Personally I've been managing a back issue for years now and it's generally only aggravated by me sitting around in one position for to long. This means I avoid long motorway stretches if I can and use it as an excuse for climbing all over the bike when riding on the B roads...... The type of bike can make a difference, certainly adventure style bikes put less strain on wrists but you still need to have accurate movement for the controls. Speaking of controls how have you got your brake and clutch levers set up? A lot of people complain of wrist pain only to discover they can relieve it by angling them down slightly so that you're not lifting your fingers so high to get onto them.

If you do think a change of bike will help most dealers will jump at the chance of letting you out on something different for a test ride?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 06:17 PM   #3
maviczap
Mega Poster

Might just be a case of installing higher bars on your curvy, even without your issues, the OEM position doesn't help. Get one of Matt Yokes top yoke conversion kits, and use higher bars.

Lower the foot pegs too?
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 07:22 PM   #4
bathwiggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Sorry to hear of your grief mate, where is the RA getting you (sounds like your wrist)

If you do think a change of bike will help most dealers will jump at the chance of letting you out on something different for a test ride?
It's mainly finger joints and thumbs with occasional pain in wrists and toes, so it's pulling the levers that causes the issues. Motorways are fine but anything fun causes pain. I was wondering if heated grips might help reduce the pain but couldn't decide. I'll try angling the levers as a starting point.

I do love my sv but a new bike might require less pressure to pull the levers. did try to go bike shopping a few years ago but places didn't want me to go for a test ride as they seemed to think I was too small for the bike.
Old 18-03-17, 07:27 PM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

maybe get some Pazzo's or Chinese copies, as then the reach might not be as long

New clutch cable & worm drive might make that much lighter to operate. Even mine makes my wrists & hands cramp up if I do too much town riding.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 08:01 PM   #6
bathwiggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
maybe get some Pazzo's or Chinese copies, as then the reach might not be as long

New clutch cable & worm drive might make that much lighter to operate. Even mine makes my wrists & hands cramp up if I do too much town riding.
I'll get some and try, thank you. And have a look at getting the clutch cable and worm drive done once I've convinced it to start again!
Old 18-03-17, 08:02 PM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

www.arthritis.org

have tips on dealing with RA and also changes to diet, the so called anti-inflammatory diet can really help. Certain foods can also aggravate the symptoms, check out site, worth trying.

Strangely Omega 3 can help symptoms but Omega 6 can make things worse, also avoid barbecued / grilled meat products as the high temp can cause changes that are not good.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 08:09 PM   #8
bathwiggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
www.arthritis.org

have tips on dealing with RA and also changes to diet, the so called anti-inflammatory diet can really help. Certain foods can also aggravate the symptoms, check out site, worth trying.

Strangely Omega 3 can help symptoms but Omega 6 can make things worse, also avoid barbecued / grilled meat products as the high temp can cause changes that are not good.
Thank-you. I'm taking omega 3 supplements, and folic acid to combat the methotrexate side effects, trying to stick to the diet but finding it really really hard, although I'm very nearly vegetarian anyway. I just cant envisage not being able to ride again, and struggling to cycle at 29.
Old 18-03-17, 10:38 PM   #9
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I'm on a low dose of methotrexate for my psoriatic arthritis. Been on it for about 8 years. It took a while to really start working so bear with it. Over the last four years my arthritis has completely gone (along with most of the psoriasis). Made an unbelievable difference to me. Make sure you keep moving/exercising the affected parts, it definitely helps to lessen the pain.
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-17, 12:08 AM   #10
Heorot

You might tray a test ride on the new naked SV650. I test rode one and found it a delight and the upright position might reduce the pressure on your hands.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote