SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-12-06, 09:54 AM   #1
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default K1 SVS wont start again

Symtoms are. Bike wont turn over when it does it runs for a few seconds and then stalls. When it does run it sounds really 'flat' and the idle is lumpy.

Battery is fully charged and was bike was running fine. Until Friday morning 01-12-06. I filled the tank up fully with Petrol on thursday night. 30-11-06

I popped the tank up and took the air filter out this morning and theres alot about 5mm depth of petrol in the airbox, which I guess is causing the bike to run extremely rich and thats whats causing my problem. I dont understand why its doing this though. I had alot of problems before, caused by me not connecting the crank case breathers properly to the airbox, I've had starting problems since, and now I can see a pattern it always happens after I fill the bike with fuel.

Can anybody give me some idea of whats going on.

Thread documenting the problems I've had is here. Bear in mind I've had the carbs off and had to give them some abuse to get the choke plunger screws out. Have I caused another problem. I'm thinking possibly stuck carb float or I havent re-connected the fuel tank gubbins back together properly. Or the vacum tap on the fuel tank has got sh*t or gunk in it.

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=46761

Help please. I'm getting frustrated with it now.

Thanks

Fizz

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 10:13 AM   #2
Viney
Mega Poster

If you move closer, id come and have a look!

Remove choke cable one end at a time and see if it starts then??

It could be a poor sliding cable/Damaged spring.

Water in the fuel?

I would just go back to the start. Check the carbs over. If you did strip the carbs down, then there is a possibilty that the float has not set properly?
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 10:38 AM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I've taken the air filter out and mopped up all the fuel that was swimming about in there, I suspect that if I try to start it tonight when I get home it'll start OK.

I dont think its water in the fuel, I drained the tank when I put the bike back together and its been filled with fresh fuel a few times. Its had 6 or 7 tankfulls now.

I think its time to go back to the begining and take carbs off again and strip them down and give everything a good clean and check that nothing is broken.

Last time I didnt strip the carbs down all I did was take them off the bike in order to get better access to the choke plunger screws as they were rusted solid. When I put them back on it had new throttle cables as well as a new choke cable.

I'm wandering if though in taking the carbs off the bike the float in one of the floats in one of the carbs is stuck or theres mank in the carbs from where it stood for a few months, maybe residue from stale fuel and the floats arent well floating properly Just seems weird that this seems to happen everytime I fill the bike up with fuel.

Old 04-12-06, 03:11 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
I'm wandering if though in taking the carbs off the bike the float in one of the floats in one of the carbs is stuck or theres mank in the carbs from where it stood for a few months, maybe residue from stale fuel and the floats arent well floating properly Just seems weird that this seems to happen everytime I fill the bike up with fuel.
I'd bet my mortgage on a 'float' issue ... its either stuck, sunk or you have not got a seal on the float valve ... i.e a bit of mank/muck preventing a seal.

I'd be straight into the carbs on this one ...
Old 04-12-06, 03:24 PM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

But why is the airbox full of petrol?Surely an overfull float chamber would'nt allow fuel to pump up there?
Old 04-12-06, 03:59 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I dont know, but if the floats stuck it'll keep filling the float chamber I would think. Petrols got to to go somwhere as it cant go back into the tank so I'm guessing its flooding the float chamber and then back filling into the airbox.

Right take the carbs apart it is then...

Old 04-12-06, 04:52 PM   #7
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
But why is the airbox full of petrol?Surely an overfull float chamber would'nt allow fuel to pump up there?
I see what you are trying to say, but if the floats allow the fuel level to rise, then fuel can seep out of the jets. Also, logically where else is the fuel coming from!?

excluding a leaking the the fuel tank coincidentally right about the filter intake hole, the only other way to see fuel in the airbox is if a valve has gone and you are getting gasses 'blowing' out if the carb ... but as the bike ran before it was parked up, this is unlikely to be the cause?
Old 04-12-06, 04:55 PM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Apart from a stuck / seized choke cable, bike ran fine before it was parked up.

Old 04-12-06, 05:36 PM   #9
netsurfer

Default Re: K1 SVS wont start again

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
Bike wont turn over
Careful! with the other description of petrol in the airbox I would say the reason it wouldn't turn over is because one of the cylinders was flooded and on compression stroke.
If you try to turn the engine over in this state you risk bending a con-rod or damaging the starter gear

I'm sure you know this already, just making sure

Pete
Old 04-12-06, 07:21 PM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

No I didnt know that, cheers for the tip off.

As I suspected, I've removed the airbox and now its pumped the contents of the petrol oil mix that was in the sump all over the garage floor again.

So now it needs an oil change again as well as the petrol must be draining back down into the sump and the oil has got contaiminated.