SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-07-15, 09:14 AM   #11
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Wheel Alignment .... doing my head in.

Even if the wheel is misaligned by 1mm at the chain adjusters, it's less than half a degree of misalignment .... it has to be a LONG way out to have any major noticeable effect on handling or chain wear.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-15, 09:26 AM   #12
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

True, the hands-off test is pretty sensitive though. On some bikes when it's pointing off to one side, then it feels different in left and right corners - one side feels more or less normal, on the other it feels like it's falling in too easily.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-15, 02:50 PM   #13
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
I use a more precise variation of the string method

I have two lengths of 1 inch box section with two pieces of threaded bar at one end. This enables me to clamp the box section either side of the rear wheel and allow the alignment to be projected forward around the front. I then adjust to alignment to be equal either side of the front.

Well that is how I did do it with the sv etc. with the GSXR, I just stick my vernier calipers on each side of the swinging arm machined sections for the adjuster slides.
Hey Tim - please can you elaborate on this a bit more i.e. exactly what you're doing (pics would be great)?

Thanks
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-15, 03:26 PM   #14
nutzboutbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
why not simply measure from the rear of the swingarm (where the chain adjuster plate goes into) to the centre of the bolt. Shorter distance and easier to do
This is pretty much the method I use, I put a screw driver with tape wrapped around it in the chain/rear sprocket and rotate the wheel to pull every thing forward and tight, then use a metal rule to measure from the back of the plate to the end of the swing arm where it meets the adjuster plate.
Old 14-07-15, 03:47 PM   #15
Bibio
Mega Poster

to get a true measurement and alignment of the rear wheel you need to take a measurement from the centre of the swingarm axle to the centre of the rear wheel axle on both sides. if you try and take a measurement from the front wheel it wont work as you dont know if the front is perfectly aligned in the straight ahead position. once you know the rear is aligned properly then you can check the front using a straight edge. the rear is a fixed position the front is not, the front will always track the rear.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-15, 04:15 PM   #16
jambo
Mega Poster

If you're not riding on a completely flat and level road tyre wear is an indicator but not all that precise.

Most roads are cambered to allow water to run to the gutters, between this and a host of other factors including previous wear to the tyre I don't think they always wear entirely evenly. Perhaps your method is solid, all is well, but you're searching for a perfection that it's unlikely you'll find.

Jambo
Old 15-07-15, 07:38 PM   #17
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
you're searching for a perfection that it's unlikely you'll find.

Jambo
I think that just about nails it Jambo. It's interesting to read how other people do this but I guess in the end, it comes down to me being confident with how things are set up..
I got the distances down to 1/16 inch with the string, swingarm pivot to axle bolt distances are the same, steel ruler from sprocket along the chain is level and it runs straight with the 'no hands' test. I took it out for 3 hours today and it seems to handle OK so that'll do for me.
Just for my own interest, I might get them to check it properly at the next MOT...see how it comes out.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-15, 05:23 AM   #18
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

They won't check it at the MoT. The no-hands test is the final word, and if it isn't wandering then it's going where you point it, which is what you're after. Time to stop worrying and ride it!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-15, 11:03 AM   #19
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
They won't check it at the MoT. The no-hands test is the final word, and if it isn't wandering then it's going where you point it, which is what you're after. Time to stop worrying and ride it!
They've definitely checked it on my bikes at MOT as I've had advisories regarding it. I actually watched them do it with a similar set-up to Tim's box section bars.

I used to do a lot of motorways and roundabouts and hence had very uneven tyre wear, and the handling felt very misaligned, but new tyres sorted that out. Point being that tyre wear can make a huge difference to handling.
Old 16-07-15, 12:15 PM   #20
Markos_46

My alignment was checked on the MOT aswell