SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-02-24, 02:59 PM   #6371
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Bloke next door got a battery cordless mower a few years ago, I asked him how he was getting on with it, he said 'it's OK unless two blades of grass gang up on me at once'.....

Oh dear, that was what I was thinking of getting next...
Old 26-02-24, 06:43 PM   #6372
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Oh dear, that was what I was thinking of getting next...
So was I... Hopefully my B&S engined Hayter will last me a bit longer yet, although as I have some Stihl battery kit already I'm hoping their battery mowers are pretty good.
Old 26-02-24, 09:33 PM   #6373
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Friend of mine has a number of battery cordless garden tools, mower, strimmer, small chain saw, and they all perform well and do the job they are meant to do. I know because I've used them all on a number of occasions.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-24, 10:30 PM   #6374
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
...I decided to get the trusty Webb mower out of hibernation ( Briggs and Stratton engine [...]). I had put some [...] fuel stabiliser in last Autumn and some Redex... An amazing thing happened, I primed the carb and pulled the cord, and the engine fired up, only to stop again quite quickly, but i primed it again and it fired up and kept running sweetly. ...
Sounds very similar to my own experience: Coincidentally, at the weekend I also gave part of my lawn a first trim with my trusty Webb mower. Also having used fuel stabiliser in the autumn, it started up for me without fuss, raising a smile.
(In my case it's our own dog using the lawn for 'business' - being small with a low undercarriage he's been getting wet and messy just walking out there in the grass that had grown very slowly but had become noticeably longer since last cut in 2023.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
... as I have some Stihl battery kit already I'm hoping their battery mowers are pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Friend of mine has a number of battery cordless garden tools, mower, strimmer, small chain saw, and they all perform well and do the job they are meant to do. I know because I've used them all on a number of occasions.
Although I have a petrol mower (that I'm unlikely to replace with electric in the foreseeable future), I do have a Makita LXT 18V strimmer that I think is very good. That's the only 'garden' electric power tool I have at present (though I have a few more Makita LXT DIY items, and lust after more for my 'collection' as funds permit - I'm on the slippery slope!) I will probably consider one of their hedge trimmers when I get too lazy to use the manual shears for the little bit of hedge management I need to do. But for now I'd rather spend my very limited money on other tools or bikes & bike project parts!
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-24, 08:06 AM   #6375
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Amazing red sky at sunrise this morning.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-24, 11:34 AM   #6376
redtrummy

Re mower - I have just bought a new petrol - We let a large chunk of the grass turn into hay meadow last year and intend doing the same again. In September we cut it down, and I was concerned if an electric one would be up to the job when we do the same again. All went well last year until the wife hit a brick with the mower, I am sure it now has broken the con rod. It was over 20 yrs old, and its deck had several holes in it, so time to move on
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-24, 04:23 PM   #6377
embee
Mega Poster

My old Mountfield mower carb decided to start leaking just before I went off on hols. A friendly neighbour cuts my two smallish lawns for me when I'm away, so I needed to get something sorted promptly. I treated myself to a Makita DLM382 mower, takes 2x18V batteries. It does the two small lawns 4 or 5 times on fully charged 5Ah batteries, it's quiet, light, well built and it works.
I definitely wouldn't try to cut long or wet grass with it, but if you have a reasonable proper lawn then they'll do the job fine. So much less hassle than dealing with a petrol jobbie as long as you don't expect it to tackle tough stuff.
I also treated myself to a 2x18V Makita DUB362 blower to use when I can't be bothered to fire up the Stihl blower. Again, it's not the same calibre as the Stihl but for small leaf/grass clipping blowing jobs it's just so easy to use (a breeze even!).
Old 27-02-24, 07:47 PM   #6378
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

As things break or die I am replacing them with Stihl battery equivalents. Currently have blower and scarifier (AK series batteries) and strimmer, hedge trimmer and pole hedge trimmer all using the bigger AP batteries. Luckily both battery types use the same charger. Good kit with lots plenty of oomph but not cheap. They should see me out though so I'm happy enough.
Old 27-02-24, 10:20 PM   #6379
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
I treated myself to a Makita DLM382 mower, takes 2x18V batteries

I just ordered a Makita DLM382CT2 today...
Old 29-02-24, 09:52 PM   #6380
embee
Mega Poster

Hope it works well for you Seeker. My lawns were looking rather tatty a week or so ago, the grass has hardly stopped growing during the mild winter and the front looks more like a meadow than a lawn, so I set the mower to the highest and gave it a run over. It worked fine and looks much better. When it comes to doing a proper cut I'll drop the mower down a notch or two each time in order not to over-work it.

All my cordless tools are Makita so I have the batteries anyway, I just don't have the twin charger (which would be nice) so I have to do the batteries separately but it's no big deal.