SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-05-19, 03:02 PM   #21
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Guns don't kill people...

Another grey squirrel consigned to the great drey on the sky this afternoon ( acute lead poisoning ) - at least the eggs and chicks of the songbirds I have been feeding over winter and still feeding now will be safe

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-19, 03:04 PM   #22
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Another grey squirrel consigned to the great drey on the sky this afternoon ( acute lead poisoning ) - at least the eggs and chicks of the songbirds I have been feeding over winter and still feeding now will be safe

Well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 31-05-19, 08:00 PM   #23
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

My rat/sqiggle traps arrived today. My god are they vicious! Managed to set one without breaking a finger or three and then dropped a wine bottle cork on the treddle. Wow - it jumps nearly two feet in the air when sprung. No wonder they have a tether chain attached.

Will set them up in the loft tomorrow and see if I get any takers.
Old 01-06-19, 01:41 AM   #24
ethariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
My rat/sqiggle traps arrived today. My god are they vicious! Managed to set one without breaking a finger or three and then dropped a wine bottle cork on the treddle. Wow - it jumps nearly two feet in the air when sprung. No wonder they have a tether chain attached.

Just have the thought the traps are set as you nod off, that crack like a 5.56 coming through the wall at 2am is just the trap going off
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 09:59 AM   #25
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Wow - it jumps nearly two feet in the air when sprung. No wonder they have a tether chain attached.

Make sure you use the tether and, if a rat ( or tree rat ) isn't caught cleanly on the neck they can drag the traps away - put a screw into a rafter or floorboard.

What bait are you using ? rodents find peanut butter or Nutella irresistable and they can smell it from miles away and find it in the dark. My brother had to put the traps in like a little canyon made with wood to guide the critters to the 'correct end' of the trap, otherwise they can get at the bait from the side or 'wrong end' and the results can be nasty.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 01-06-19, 05:59 PM   #26
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Have used a mix of crunchy peanut butter and supermarket own brand hazelnut choccie spread (I hate both) and made a box structure to make sure they come at the trap the right way. It's on a hefty baseboard which I have tethered it down to. Amazing what you can find on YouTube and in hindsight I should have got them with the traps. Was fun making one and I'll make a better one for the second trap now I have a better idea.

Just waiting for the clang now... In a way I hope I don't get one and the little baskets have moved on but we'll see.
Old 02-06-19, 01:28 PM   #27
SV650rules
Mega Poster

At least you got decent traps most of them are not long enough and can catch critters like rats and squirrels on the nose and not the neck, very nasty.....

At top of the trapbarn website there is a link to guides page, here is what it says about grey squirrels. https://www.trapbarn.com/squirrel-trapping/

The jokes are also worth a look... https://www.trapbarn.com/rat-jokes/

Last edited by SV650rules; 02-06-19 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-06-19, 08:58 PM   #28
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Trapbarn supplied my brace of traps as it happens. Very efficient things they are too. We defo have squiggles in the loft but as of this afternoon there is one less up there.

At least getting rid of the remains is easy - pop it up on the shed roof and two minutes later a Red Kite swooped down and carried it off.
Old 06-06-19, 09:01 PM   #29
Othen

Quote:
Trapbarn supplied my brace of traps as it happens. Very efficient things they are too. We defo have squiggles in the loft but as of this afternoon there is one less up there.

At least getting rid of the remains is easy - pop it up on the shed roof and two minutes later a Red Kite swooped down and carried it off.

Very green.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-19, 08:06 AM   #30
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Bit of a treat for a Kite getting squirrel, 'what does it taste like?' - 'a bit nutty!'