SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-03-08, 03:47 PM   #1
SAMMY650

Default Handlebar conversion

Hey Guys,

Can anyone tell me what I need to buy if I change my SV650 from handlebars to clip ons? Will I need a new top yoke? If anyone has already done this a few pics would be very helpful.

Ta x
Old 06-03-08, 04:54 PM   #2
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Handlebar conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMMY650 View Post
Hey Guys,

Can anyone tell me what I need to buy if I change my SV650 from handlebars to clip ons? Will I need a new top yoke? If anyone has already done this a few pics would be very helpful.

Ta x
Yes you will. I've switched a naked with top bars to a race bike. I found that the stock clip ons dont fit the naked top yoke as there is a bolt in the wrong place. You'll need both to make it work.

The other thing to consider is the length of the brake hoses. As you move teh bars lower you may find that the existing brake hoses are too long.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-08, 04:56 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Also choke cables and throttle cables?
Old 06-03-08, 05:21 PM   #4
SAMMY650

Thanks guys. So would it work if I brought a second hand SV650S top yoke? Would that fit and am i right in saying that the standard forks on the naked are 41mm?
Old 06-03-08, 05:32 PM   #5
Dangerous Dave

Forks on the naked and faired are the same, and yes buying a second hand top yoke is a good idea. Don't worry about having longer cables, just make sure they are not getting in the way of anything and are secure in there location if you have to tuck them somewhere.
Old 06-03-08, 05:35 PM   #6
sv650k4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMMY650 View Post
Thanks guys. So would it work if I brought a second hand SV650S top yoke? Would that fit and am i right in saying that the standard forks on the naked are 41mm?

yes you need a top yoke and the forks im 99% sure ther 41mm the same as the other sv650 not sure about maby anything else that needs changeing tho!
Old 06-03-08, 05:38 PM   #7
SAMMY650

Thanks everyone. Will let you know how I get on.
Old 06-03-08, 05:53 PM   #8
SAMMY650

Will the mirror brackets and brake fluid reservoir still fit on the bar??? And other than the handlebar clamps are the yoke the same for faired/unfaired?? e.g. where the ignition cylinder fits??
Old 06-03-08, 05:57 PM   #9
sv650k4

what is it holds the mirrors on?ive never really had a good look at a unfaired sv so dont no what ther held with.

do they bolt on/into the switch gear or wot?
Old 06-03-08, 06:09 PM   #10
Dangerous Dave

Yeap same place for the ignition on both faired and unfaired, only difference is with curvy and pointy. You may have a problem with fitting everything on to the clipons, depends how the mirrors are mounted!