SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Old 11-10-06, 07:08 PM   #1
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Can't find Neutral

Can I ask in here, because it was never an issue I can remember til I started commuting in London.
In the stop start traffic when it heats up to 90 degrees, I can't change out of 1st into Neutral. No amount of slipping the clutch frees it. It's just been serviced so I'd like to think it wasn't clutch adjustment.
Thank you
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 07:35 PM   #2
jonboy

It most likely is the clutch. Try giving it a nice big blip of revs and then nudging the gear lever, I've found this to be most effective, as I (periodically) have the same problem.

Old 11-10-06, 07:43 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Stu, did it do it before you had the bike serviced, Did they change the oil when you had the bike serviced ? If so, I'd be checking the oil level as well as the clutch adjustment, Everytime I've had a problem with 1st to Neutral selection on my SV its because I've overfilled the oil.

You'd think I'd learn but no I keep over filling it. We did it to Liz's bike just before we went away to Ireland, she started to complain about not being able to get neutral, checked the oil level and it was over the full level in the sight glass.

Just a thought...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 08:32 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
It most likely is the clutch.
Agreed.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 09:47 PM   #5
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
Stu, did it do it before you had the bike serviced, - I think yes was only one day in London before service
Did they change the oil when you had the bike serviced ? - Yes
If so, I'd be checking the oil level - looks good, on full but not above it
as well as the clutch adjustment, - wouldn't this be part of the service? It was 3 hours labour.
Everytime I've had a problem with 1st to Neutral selection on my SV its because I've overfilled the oil.

You'd think I'd learn but no I keep over filling it. We did it to Liz's bike just before we went away to Ireland, she started to complain about not being able to get neutral, checked the oil level and it was over the full level in the sight glass.

Just a thought...
Has anyone else related the problem to stop start traffic?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-06, 08:27 AM   #6
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

I get this sometimes. Sometimes i can just keep the clutch pulled in and rock the bike back and forth a touch and it'll free up. Other times i've had to stall it on purpose and kick it back into neutral then.

Does that help at all?
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-06, 08:36 AM   #7
thor

Make sure your chain is correctly adjusted. Did you check the oil on level ground? It can be difficult to check on your own sometimes. I can pop over to the bike bay tonight if you're unsure?
Old 12-10-06, 09:05 AM   #8
Mr Toad

try letting the clutch out very gradually until it starts to bite, and then pull the clutch in and try changing into neutral

usually works for me if ever it gets stuck & I can't find neutral