SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-01-06, 01:38 AM   #1
Tommy_Tank

Default fuel light - capacity ?

Hi,

Sorry I'm sure this has been asked a million times before, but I have searched the archives and can't find a definitive answer ....

I didn't get an owners manual with my bike. What does it say is left in the tank when the fuel light comes on ?

Cheers

Tom
Old 20-01-06, 02:16 AM   #2
Graham

Your bike holds 17 litres, so just subtract the amout used and you will know exactly.
Old 20-01-06, 02:26 AM   #3
hall13uk

i thought it was 20 miles left when the light comes on but i can't be sure
Old 20-01-06, 02:34 AM   #4
philipMac

Seems to vary quite a lot from bike to bike.
I sort of guess that when the light starts to flash I have about 20 miles. But, if you push it, the light will start to stay on when its really getting thirsty.

At that point I was basically rolling into the petrol station. But I suppose there is a couple of miles worth still knocking about when this happens.

Never actually run it dry. So, cant be more help.
(Actually, I think whether or not it flashes or just goes straight to solid varies from model to model. Even more variables...)
Old 20-01-06, 07:03 AM   #5
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipMac
Seems to vary quite a lot from bike to bike.
I sort of guess that when the light starts to flash I have about 20 miles. But, if you push it, the light will start to stay on when its really getting thirsty.

At that point I was basically rolling into the petrol station. But I suppose there is a couple of miles worth still knocking about when this happens.

Never actually run it dry. So, cant be more help.
(Actually, I think whether or not it flashes or just goes straight to solid varies from model to model. Even more variables...)
the light never really flashes on a k3 the way it does on earlier models - it just comes on intermittently as the sensor is triggered on different inclines etc. I'd hazard a guess that the range is more than 20 miles but i've never pushed it and it depends how you ride - riding gently may double your mileage.
Old 20-01-06, 08:21 AM   #6
Foey

I was told by my dealer that it'd have just under a galon left so would be good for about 30 miles, only intend trying it in desperation though, would also depend how your'e riding.
Old 20-01-06, 08:27 AM   #7
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic
the light never really flashes on a k3 the way it does on earlier models - it just comes on intermittently as the sensor is triggered on different inclines etc.
Um, it doesn't? Mine sure seems to. It slowly flashes on and off and then when its really low, its on constantly and thats when I know I really need to find a petrol station.
Old 20-01-06, 08:28 AM   #8
mysteryjimbo

I always ride through the fuel light as i know (and knew with the SV) that i get 150+ to the tank so i get a 2.5 days at work off one.

My tanks takes 17 litres also. Guess how much i put in yesterday?

17 litres plus 2 glugs of Pro FST. Lucky or what!??!
Old 20-01-06, 08:28 AM   #9
Mr Toad

Hi Tom

would you like an owners manual - I have mine left over from when I had a K4 - it should be the same for your K3 I would have thought.
Drop me a PM with your address & I'll send it to you

I never managed to get more than 15.5 litres in my tank, and that's from completely empty (conked out whilst I was overtaking a bus ), and holding the bike upright so it wasn't leaning over

cheers
Old 20-01-06, 08:53 AM   #10
neuone

Well, just today the light came on the first time at 93 miles ( I spent a lot of time sitting in traffic ). I didn't put fuel in the tank till 111 miles and it took 3.2 gallons to fill. So there was about 1.3 gallons for fuel left. I got 35 MPG on that tank, so AFTER going 20 miles AFTER the light came on, I could have done about another 30 miles and still had 1/2 a gallon.

I ride a K3 naked that I just put an M4 high sport exhaust on - it sounds awesome!