SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-08-07, 02:01 AM   #1
melody

Default Death wish

....Not me. Just some plonker I came across on my way in to work tonight.

I came upon slow moving traffic just as I got to the hospital. There was no need for me to filter (not keen on it anyway), as I had plenty of time and I wasn't in a hurry. This idiot on a push bike is furiously pedalling alongside me to my right, grinning foolishly and makes some jibe at me about how stupid I am being overtaken by a push bike! He then cuts right in front of me,on to the left side of the road, pedals alongside the car in front of me for a little while and then again cuts in front of that car as wlel. And so he continued along, cutting in front of all the traffic.

Don't you just wish some people would learn a very painful lesson. Not so much that he's badly hurt, just enough to make him realise the foolishness of his ways!
Old 08-08-07, 06:16 AM   #2
Tris

Default Re: Death wish

Similar for me

Was driving the car the other day and knew that there was bike comming up behind me.

As I was going through a series of S bends with double white lines at about 60 mph I didn't lift thinking I'll move over once we get clear. No problem.

This muppet decides to take me on a left hander that had no visibility and to cap it all had a pillion as well.

Couldn't help thinking that it was a death and possibly two waiting to happen.
Old 08-08-07, 06:26 AM   #3
Kinvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody View Post
....Not me. Just some plonker I came across on my way in to work tonight.

I came upon slow moving traffic just as I got to the hospital. There was no need for me to filter (not keen on it anyway), as I had plenty of time and I wasn't in a hurry. This idiot on a push bike is furiously pedalling alongside me to my right, grinning foolishly and makes some jibe at me about how stupid I am being overtaken by a push bike! He then cuts right in front of me,on to the left side of the road, pedals alongside the car in front of me for a little while and then again cuts in front of that car as wlel. And so he continued along, cutting in front of all the traffic.

Don't you just wish some people would learn a very painful lesson. Not so much that he's badly hurt, just enough to make him realise the foolishness of his ways!

Being a road user should be a privilege not a right. I would like to see a bicycle CBT as well as insurance for all push bikes.

Couriers should be taxed.
Old 08-08-07, 07:24 AM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I filter down the middle of traffic on my pushbike just like I'd do on my motorbike... I wouldnt go down the left handside of cars though thats asking to be knocked off.

I'm quite capable of maintaiing 25mph over a flat piece of road for short bursts, I normally average around 20mph, if its down hill then 30mph is easy to achieve.

Before you lot start

1. Between Liz and I, we have 6 vehicles all insured and taxed....
2. I wear a helmet on my push bike
3. I use a cycle path where there is one to use and I stop for red lights etc etc

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-07, 10:41 AM   #5
MeridiaNx

Yep, it happens I'm afraid Melody. I was on my way to a bike night last week, powered off a roundabout and got up to *ahem* mph, but had to back off as I was coming up behind a car just before a long, blind left-hander. Noticed another bike had come with me and up behind me fast, which was odd as I wasn't being slow myself.

Anyway, waiting to get round this corner (maybe 300 yards or so) when suddenly the bike comes flying past right as another car is coming towards us. He went between the two cars, not as they were staggered, but as they were dead level with each other. He was leant over between the two of them, doing 110+ I reckon, pillion on the back as well and needless to say inadequate clothing to be taking those kinds of risk in
Old 08-08-07, 10:51 AM   #6
rigor

Some cyclists make me laugh, including one guy a couple of weeks ago.

Heading to work and get to one of the usual queues. Start filtering and theres a couple of bikes ahead of me and a cyclist directly in front of me who starts filtering too. Fine, have no problem with that, he's doing a decent speed and not holding me up. Problem is to keep his speed his in "full power" mode. Head down, little legs pumping like mad. I'm looking down the line of traffic and see the blink of an indicator so roll off as do the 2 bikes ahead of the cyclist. Unfortunately "Lance" doesn't look up until the last second, and misses out on crashing into the back of the bike ahead by inches.

So, cyclists filtering I don't have a problem with, as long as they're paying attention.
Old 08-08-07, 11:25 AM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

ever wondered when you travelled behind me why I always pretend to slap the butt of a cyclist if i ride past one. ???
Yorkie Chris finds it hilarious every time I do it
A lot of cyclists are silly people, thats why they deserve a slap on the bum

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-07, 12:28 PM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
A lot of cyclists are silly people, thats why they deserve a slap on the bum
Or is because you can't resist the feel of lyrca...

Please dont do this though, it doenst take much to upset the balance of a cyclist, just a small tap might be enough to bring them down. Or make them wobble, which they might do across your path.. which might bring the pair of you down.

If you did that to me I wouldnt be best pleased.

What happened to tolerance and leaving people alone...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-07, 04:26 PM   #9
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

as i said pretend.
would never do it properly and I am very far away when i overtake anyway. \They're usually already wobbling about. Its the lycra clad bum thats always hanging over the saddle that tickles me.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-07, 04:38 PM   #10
Alpinestarhero

Some cyclists who ride on roads are quite dangerous, wobbling everywhere and using a far too high gear, struggling to get up a hill.

I give this lot a wide bearth.

Most cyclists seem ok though, least the ones I have come across.

There are some prattish motorcyclists out there aswell, overtaking in stupid places.

Ah well. I ride quite safely (if i do say so myself) and let all the nutters past and have their own near-misses.

Matt