SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-02-06, 01:28 PM   #1
daddy_sperm

Default spark plugs

what do you recommend to replace my original spark plugs with. SV650S K4 2004

cheers
Old 28-02-06, 03:48 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Either exactly the same again, or Iridiums of the same spec, really. I use the Iridiums for the better cold weather starting, and because they deal better with bad fuel mixes (which my bike sometimes has, because I'm constantly muckign about with the induciton and exhaust). But there's good arguments for both.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-06, 05:35 PM   #3
Last Action Pimp

ngk - cr8e (1275) or ngk - cr8eix (421. (just looked in my catalogue) its the same ones for all SV's
Old 28-02-06, 07:27 PM   #4
NedSVS

Only use NGK plugs if you are a fair weather only rider. They work perfectly but rust quickly, leaving a red/brown rust stain down the side of your front cylinder (from the drain hole that allows water that gets down to the plug to run out) and it looks a real mess
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-06, 07:28 PM   #5
a1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Either exactly the same again, or Iridiums of the same spec, really. I use the Iridiums for the better cold weather starting, and because they deal better with bad fuel mixes (which my bike sometimes has, because I'm constantly muckign about with the induciton and exhaust). But there's good arguments for both.
So you like the Iridium sparkys than? How long have you been using the Iridium sparkplugs? Do you think, in your opinion that they are worth the extra expense?
Cheers?
Old 28-02-06, 07:57 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1a
So you like the Iridium sparkys than? How long have you been using the Iridium sparkplugs? Do you think, in your opinion that they are worth the extra expense?
Cheers?
Embee reckons that the iridium plugs are of benefit, I've got my doubts, whatever, it's not the wrong thing to do.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-06, 08:09 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1a
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Cheers?
Well, I got them very cheap- so taking into accont the predicted plonger life, they'll work out cheaper than stock. Hopefully But yeah, for me they've been worth it. To be fair, that's partly because of the fuelling mucking about I've been doing, and partly because my knackered old battery needed every bit of help it could muster to start after the bike had been out in the cold all day

As Sid says, it's not hte wrong thing- but not neccesarily the right either. For the sums of money we're talking about here- spread across the life of a set of plugs- I'm none too bothered if they're great or average, as long as they work
Old 28-02-06, 10:29 PM   #8
Anonymous

IMHO. for an standard untuned SV, they probably aren't worth the extra. They'll last a bit longer and be a bit more tolerant of changes in carburation etc. But it's better to keep the engine well tuned than rely on a set of plugs to mask any problems.

Shove a set of iridiums into a badly set-up motor and you'll probably notice the difference. Shove 'em into a well-tuned mill, and I really don't think you'd notice anything at all.
Old 28-02-06, 10:38 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Nah, even on a well-fettled motor there's a difference when cold starting.
Old 28-02-06, 10:56 PM   #10
Anonymous

Yeah, can't really disagree with that - but probably only if it's REALLY cold, and the battery is down on volts, or if the battery is going downhill.

All things being equal, the diffrence is quite small.

What they DO do is cover up deficiencies better.