SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-01-07, 12:39 PM   #1
MavUK

Default I hate oil...

Hey All,

Changed my oil this weekend, and this moring preceded to dump it all over the floor (and my back wheel) at a set of lights... (Pushing the bike the 4 KMs home was my exercise for the week - thank god Holland doesn't have hills )

Anyway, my Q is what should the oil filter connect to on the engine. I always though straight to the engine block, but when changing it there was a rubber gaskget on the engine.

The only thing I can think of is that this came out of the old oil filter and should have been removed (which will happen this weekend when I redo it). But wanted to know if that was the correct thing to do before I give it a go. Shoudl I also go for (another) new filter, or keep the one that's there if I can get it off without damaging it?

And yes I do feel deeply ashamed for having to ask the Q.

Finally, anyone know the best way to get a few litres of oil off a rear tyre? Hot water and wash up, or is there a better way?

TIA

Stu
Old 29-01-07, 01:02 PM   #2
Caddy2000

The oil filter on my pointy just screwed directly to the engine block, and has it's own integral rubber seal - sounds like the one off you old filter got left behind. It's worth giving that area a clean before you put the new filter on.
You might as well get a new filter - they are cheap!
Old 29-01-07, 01:05 PM   #3
MavUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy2000
The oil filter on my pointy just screwed directly to the engine block, and has it's own integral rubber seal - sounds like the one off you old filter got left behind. It's worth giving that area a clean before you put the new filter on.
You might as well get a new filter - they are cheap!
Thanks for that. You have good point about the filters being cheap, I'll have to get one on Saturday.

BTW, the bikes a curvy if anyone knows whether that makes a difference to the fitting of the filter.

Stu
Old 29-01-07, 01:43 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

You're not the first, don't worry. Yes, the o-ring that you saw has to come off, there's a new one on the new filter. I'd reuse the filter, but then that's just me. And soapy water for the oil, lots of soap.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-07, 02:20 PM   #5
John Burt

Don't forget to give the new seal a smear of fresh oil, this will stop it tearing
Old 05-02-07, 08:17 PM   #6
MavUK

Cheers all,

Sorted it this weekend... Did require a new oil filter, when it blew it took the new o-ring out og the filter huising.

Took it to work today on egg shells waiting for something to go wrong (which at barely above freezing in thick mist it did, ran like a pig - I'm assuming carb icing as it normally goes like this is this weather).

Cheers,

Stu
Old 06-02-07, 04:04 PM   #7
paulthewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
You're not the first, don't worry. Yes, the o-ring that you saw has to come off,
no you're not

lucky you realised....took me about 3 miles to realise why my rear had no grip, and the oil light was flashin

the bike then developed a rattling noise having been fixed......and the engine blew up a couple of days later. £750 odd later.......all fixed

Paul
Old 06-02-07, 07:52 PM   #8
MavUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthewitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
You're not the first, don't worry. Yes, the o-ring that you saw has to come off,
no you're not

lucky you realised....took me about 3 miles to realise why my rear had no grip, and the oil light was flashin

the bike then developed a rattling noise having been fixed......and the engine blew up a couple of days later. £750 odd later.......all fixed

Paul
Ouch, am I glad I shut the engine down instantly (which in retrospect was stupid, just before 7 am cage drivers aren't the most aware and I had to puch my bike to the side of the road...)

Hope I don't have an engine build coming up... How many miles was tyour 3 days, mines done about 70 so far on the trip to work and back.
Stu