SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 09-08-12, 09:29 AM   #1
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Default It's a track day...but not as you know it

I got invited on the BMW club's Rider Improvement Day at Snetterton on Monday.

It's not as bad as it sounds....no really. It's organised by a chap called Robert Bensley (robertbensley@btinternet.com) who is as mad as a box of frogs an I got roped in by one of the instructors.

Now I've always fancied a track day, but have always been a bit unsure about it all, you hear all the stories (on here as well) about faster bikes being in the lower groups to fill spaces etc...whereas this one was really well organised, friendly and fun;

The day isn't over subscribed, with less than the cuicuit maximum being allowed on. All bikes have to be road legal, there's still the three groups Novice (Cautious on this day), Intermendiate and Fast (Experienced).

So I got there early and did the usual soundtests and sign in, briefing then time to go on the track;

First session in the cautious group and we all get split into groups of 3/4 with an instructor. The closer you stick to his back wheel, the faster you go. If you drop back, they drop the pace. After that you are free to do free lapping for the remaining six sessions. This group only has passing on the left and on straight bits of track so people don't get panicked, the higher groups allow passing on both sides.

Two sessions in and the instructor tells us to have a go on our own, pace picks up and I'm making good progress.

The fourth session after lunch and I'm back on track again on my own, pace is faster again, I started at the front and stayed up there, although I notice that I'm still riding a little like I'm on the road, with harsh braking and on/off throttle,

5th session back with an instructor, tell him I'm not smooth enough and need to sort it, so he follows me for a couple of laps then tows me along at a much quicker pace than I've done previously, whilst showing me when/how much brake pressure he's applying. After a few pointers at what I need to improve and I'm back on for the...

6th session, fuel light comes on after a lap, but bugger it, I can always push it back to the pits and this is too much fun. I carry on to the end of the session putting into practice what I've learnt and if feels great. The only problem I had was someone on a 929 blade who was a straight line merchant and pottered in corners, end of the straight he started braking far too early so I could run up the inside and get gone.

7th session, I sat out...I was in two minds wether to fuel up and go out, but decided if I was unsure it wasn't worth it...I tried to blag one of the BMW demo bikes (then I'd be using their fuel) but they were shutting up shop, so just chilled instead.

All in all a fantastic day, run really well and with as much Instruction as you want (covering what you want) over the 7 20min sessions not bad for £120.

I'll be booking my place for next year (typically one in June, one in Aug...give Robert an e-mail) deffinately going to become a pilgramage...I may even try the inters next time.

Ste

I am in no way affiliated with BMW...other than nearly being taken out by a rep in a 3 series a while back, most bikes on track weren't even BM's
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote