SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 08-07-10, 09:00 PM   #1
christian1000

Default Trip to france, suggestions for good areas to visit?

Hi Guys,

In August me and the missus are planning our first euro trip on my SV. Going to be going for a week. Due to not wanting to spend ages on the motorway Im thinking of staying in the northern/ central areas.

Initial thoughts are that the missus wants to go to Paris for a day or two , from there I intend to go to the Vosges as a substitue for the Alps . Then perhaps back via Luxemborg/ Belgium.

Are there any reccomendations that anybody has for places to stay/ visit/ routes around the Vosges or northen regions of France in general?

Cheers in advance

Christian
Old 08-07-10, 11:40 PM   #2
Luke-Mac

Default Re: Trip to france, suggestions for good areas to visit?

From my (albeit limited) experience of driving in Paris, DONT DO IT!

The roads are a nightmare, car drivers are desperate to get through traffic at all costs and indicating/correct lane positioning and mirror usage are not something parisians are known for, IMO you are better off finding somewhere to stay near a metro station on the outskirts of the capital and hop on the metro to explore the city.

Enjoy your riding on the much less congested roads away from Paris, as for routes/places to stay, only really been in paris or down to the south so can't offer any suggestions on that front, forum are brilliant for things like this though, sure they'll know a lot more than I do and like i said, only my opinions above!

HTH

Lucas
Old 08-07-10, 11:51 PM   #3
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

I had a fantastic day visting family and sightseeing in Paris. I was leading a rideout of one other like minded person.
It's definitely a marmite experience though.

Good call going to Luxembourg - All the best roads are almost always in mountainous regions.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 01:00 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

If you're going to paris it's worth heading to Riems as you can go down the D27 and past the old GP grandstand.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...8,0.086517&t=k
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reims.jpg (51.4 KB, 19 views)
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Last edited by rictus01; 09-07-10 at 01:03 AM.
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 05:42 PM   #5
jacksuzukisv650

dont go to paris jesus i went there last year you will regret every minuite of it lol ..its like driving up central london when its on a lock down lol madnessss
Old 09-07-10, 11:11 PM   #6
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksuzukisv650 View Post
dont go to paris jesus i went there last year you will regret every minuite of it lol ..its like driving up central london when its on a lock down lol madnessss
It was one of the best days of my life...riding my bike in Paris.

Horses for courses and all that.

Although right now, reports are that it is miserably hot, muggy & stuffy in Paris right now. August is likely to be the same.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-10, 07:57 PM   #7
christian1000

The trip into paris is more for the missus than me. But I wouldnt mind having a look around. Cheers for the advice though, wasnt really expecting it to be the highlight of the motorcycling on the trip.

Just looking at sorting hotels/ B&Bs now. Are there any reccomended places to stay around the Vosges area?
Old 11-07-10, 10:16 AM   #8
jacksuzukisv650

when i went there i used the tom tom it had poi's near you i just picked the nearest hotel .. but it is expensive .
Old 11-07-10, 08:56 PM   #9
Ed

The Seine Valley - between Troyes and Dijon - is really nice. No great hills but fantastic roads. Bit of a backwater but so beautiful,. Base yourself in Chatillon-sur-Seine.
Old 29-08-10, 10:32 PM   #10
christian1000

Just got back from my trip, ended up going Paris, st dizier, epinal, then up to the Ardennes and Brugge. It turned out I quite enjoyed the demolition derby through Paris but I can definatley see why people don't like it!

All in all fantastic trip, cheers for the bits of advice