SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-09-13, 10:53 AM   #2311
big jc

Default Re: The MTB thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMio View Post
Very good points 'Ski. I know mountain bike stuff is (generally) hugely overpriced at the best of times, but so many people just don't realise that proper, decent quality stuff that'll actually stand up to the kind of abuse it'll get on a trail costs a lot of dosh.

That £300 bike above is actually bang on for the money, especially when you consider a decent set of forks alone would typically START at that.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/rockshox-bike-forks <-- e.g., and I deliberately didn't use Fox as an example, as they're even more pricey.

You don't *need* top spec stuff to enjoy getting into biking and when all's said and done pretty much every single part can be upgraded as/when it either wears out or you get into it more.
+1 plus the xcr suntour forks are not bad quality and are really easy to service etc, ideal for a beginner!
Old 17-09-13, 11:47 AM   #2312
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post
Its hardly a shocker that the none branded forks are crappy too
It's actually rebranded Suntour XCRs- not amazing, but better than you'll find on most £300 bikes (you can easily buy a bike costing twice as much with the same forks). Though, a wee bit temperamental- I killed mine quite fast with winter riding, mud got into the seals and trashed the bushings. Better servicing would have stopped that.

I rode the previous model, though it did have better tyres on it, but other'n that it was really good- you could happilly take it round most red and black routes, wouldn't want to go downhilling mind.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-13, 02:14 PM   #2313
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

I actually thought that the Voodoo Hoodoo still looked a belter and for £149 more than the Decathalon bike, was probably about right for the money.

Anyways, thanks all for the advice, I've deffo decided on the Voodoo and will be going to Halfords tonight to order it

Cheers m'dears.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-13, 02:45 PM   #2314
maviczap
Mega Poster

If you register your credit card with Quidco and pay for the bike with that CC you'll get some cash back

Can't remember how much 3% I think
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-13, 03:25 PM   #2315
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Just been over to hope tech. Hubba hubba lots of shiny kit!
Old 17-09-13, 03:37 PM   #2316
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
If you register your credit card with Quidco and pay for the bike with that CC you'll get some cash back

Can't remember how much 3% I think
Unfortunately with the Cycle2Work scheme, I order a voucher through the firm and then have to give that to Halfords

I do get cashback on my debit card at Halfords through Quidco, which is handy when buying tools!
Old 17-09-13, 08:54 PM   #2317
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Ordered the hoodoo voodoo. Should get my letter of collection by the end of October. Hopefully the price will drop a bit more by then, if it does, I get it for that price, if it goes up, I get it for the current price.

Win/win
Old 17-09-13, 09:55 PM   #2318
The Idle Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Easy to go wrong when buying used, especially at the cheap end of the market- it's not so much that you can't get a decent bike but the condition's everything, too easy to get a lemon. Especially as cheaper parts can often wear fast (and may not be that well looked after.

If I had £300 to spend I'd be nipping down to Decathlon, their rockrider 5.3 is a perfectly decent bike with a proper warranty.
Cheers Guys. I'm going to get this on pay day.
Old 20-09-13, 09:59 AM   #2319
big jc

Well after a great start to the day at coed llandegla skills park I'm now out of the game for 6-12 weeks with a fractured scaphoid! Would highly recommend the trail centre though!
Old 20-09-13, 02:16 PM   #2320
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Anyone know of any review sites that rate different Halfords stores for their bike building skills?