SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-01-11, 12:09 PM   #1
sp07tjwh

Default Grinding Rear Brake

Afternoon all.
Tried searching forum, but no good!

Just got a noticeable grinding sound when moving without braking, worsened when rear braking. It sounds like the brake pad's seized in the 'on' position. Happened straight after I played around with the rear brake lever height - could I have accidentally adjusted something without noticing??

Curvy SV if that helps!

Ta.
Old 25-01-11, 12:22 PM   #2
toxic

Default Re: Grinding Rear Brake

Drop the caliper and have a look. You might have a worn out pad or siezed piston.
Old 25-01-11, 02:55 PM   #3
Stig

Is there additional resistance than before when free wheeling the bike back and fore?

Either you may have a bit of stone or something wedged between the pad and disk or the piston maybe sticking slightly so not leaving the surface of the disk completely after braking.
Old 25-01-11, 03:00 PM   #4
sp07tjwh

Hey Toxic/Stig, thanks.

Don't think it's a worn pad as it came on immediately after yours truly tinkering around.I remember I had to push the brake pedal down quite hard to get the the bolts fixing it to the chassis, any chance I could have too much pressure or something in the brake line??

Re: Seized piston. Yeah, I don't think it's returning properly so this might be the culprit. Not massive resistance when free- wheeling - i think it's caught not far from normal. Still ridable but the noise (and probably the pad wear) is becoming pretty annoying!

Cheers.
Old 25-01-11, 03:10 PM   #5
Stig

Sounds like a little rear brake service is required.
Old 25-01-11, 03:41 PM   #6
sp07tjwh

I take it that's a dealer job then...
Old 25-01-11, 03:49 PM   #7
Stig

I'd do it myself.

You could unbolt the calliper, squeeze the piston out a bit and just give it a clean up. If that didn't work, then a proper pop out piston job and proper service. I do it myself but I'm not you. Depends on your own abilities.
Old 25-01-11, 03:52 PM   #8
sp07tjwh

Ok. Will pour over the Haynes and have a quick go at it. I'm pretty ****e, so not expecting much - but you've got to learn somehow eh..

Cheers Stig!
Old 25-01-11, 04:43 PM   #9
davepreston

phone/ pm Yc and ask him to help you do a proper strip and rebuild, for the price of a few beers someones there to make sure you do it right ,you then know how to service your brakes properly in future, you know the important equipment that stops you smashing into stuff works properly
just my 2 cents mate
Old 26-01-11, 08:47 AM   #10
m`baubz

if it free-wheels ok then it might not be a caliper issue at all. my k2's had the ugliest grind/squeak that was actually coming from the point where the brake torque arm attaches to the swinger. solved by taking apart and puting copper grease in. the bolt is a b!#$h to get to, though.