SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-10-07, 12:17 PM   #1
heedbaw

Default HELP! spark plug problem

OK, I've just tried to change the front spark plug but came across a bit of a problem. As I was unscrewing it the body snapped off of the threaded part, now the thread is stuck in the cylinder head. Anyone have any idea how to get it out without stripping the engine?
Old 21-10-07, 06:49 PM   #2
sv650nutter149

Default Re: HELP! spark plug problem

how the fuk u manage that???
Old 21-10-07, 07:40 PM   #3
toonyank

Are you saying the hex bit broke off? The threads must have been well locked in then.

Did the ceramic break to bits and did the electrode come out? If so you'll probably have loads of ceramic and insulator bits in the cylinder. You'll need to get all of that out anyway that's a bit of a bummer I know.

It's just amazing that you can trist the hex off the threads but I just can't think of any way to get the threads out without having a good look.

Let me know how you get on.
Old 21-10-07, 07:46 PM   #4
orose

I was wondering the same thing, but I asked the old man and he said its probably down to the doer-up of said plug deciding it needed to be tight + half a turn, and being a gorilla (when t'manual says 11Nm).

No idea how you're going to get it out, mind - I'd have to guess along the lines of "very very carefully" to avoid getting any bits in the combustion chamber or further down. Safest bet is going to be the head off on that cylinder though, and a check on the rear one (if you haven't yet changed the plug there) for the same problem.
Old 22-10-07, 06:46 AM   #5
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

[quote=toonyank;1319536].

Did the ceramic break to bits and did the electrode come out? If so you'll probably have loads of ceramic and insulator bits in the cylinder. You'll need to get all of that out anyway that's a bit of a bummer I know.

Morning all.

If the above hasn't occurred, & the plug came out in one piece, it is possible to remove the stuck threaded part with an extractor. Obviously you have to be careful not to break the extractor off, for then you will be in real trouble.

I use a type of extractor that has a shoulder which prevents the extractor entering too far. I got mine from Snap on, but I would imagine that there are other similar ones on the market.

If you cannot remove it with an extractor, it's head off time I'm afraid.

Cheers.
Old 22-10-07, 12:03 PM   #6
John Burt

IMHO because of the likelyhood of swarf and cutting debris entering the cylinder I would remove the head - it's not a big job and at least then you can get a machine shop to remove th eold plug.
Old 22-10-07, 05:41 PM   #7
heedbaw

Cheers everyone, It's a bit of a nightmare.
The thread has come off below the hex part, which is all rusted. Looks like there is only about 1 - 1.5 mm of metal attaching the thread to the hex part. As I was unscrewing it, it was fine. But then it came loose as if the plug was out, pulled it out and found the thread had came off. So there is no ceramics broken, maybe a few little scraps of metal.
Had problems with water getting into it before and causing the cylinder to cut out, but a new seal sorted the cutting out problem, just seems waters still getting in.
Think I'll take it to garage and get them to give it a good going over, just about at the next major service anyway.

Thanks again all.
Old 23-10-07, 02:36 PM   #8
jambo
Mega Poster

I've not heard of this one before I must say, got any pictures, I'm having a little trouble visualising it all? (Not that I'll have much useful to add just want to see what happened mainly)