SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-08-07, 03:29 AM   #1
monkey

Default How important is running in a new engine properly?

I'm just curious because I know someone who doesn't care and treats a new bike as he would a fully run in bike. I'm talking modern sportsbikes, twins and fours.

Old 05-08-07, 09:04 AM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: How important is running in a new engine properly?

i think its important if your going to keep the bike for years and years and clock up 30 - 40k on it, if you only keep the bike a few years then get rid i dont think its that important, running in properly prepares the engine for maximum engine life but who ever keeps a bike for that long?
Old 05-08-07, 09:12 AM   #3
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
...if you only keep the bike a few years then get rid i dont think its that important ...
Just coz you will be getting shot of it before it causes problems don't mean it doesn't matter ... well that is unless you are a bar steward and don't care about the future owner!!

There are 2 clear schools of thought on this, run it in fast, everything seats properly and quickly, do it slow and the engine is likely to be less powerful and use more oil.

There is plenty of blurb on this nature on the net if you are truly interested
Old 05-08-07, 10:12 AM   #4
kwak zzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Just coz you will be getting shot of it before it causes problems don't mean it doesn't matter ... well that is unless you are a bar steward and don't care about the future owner!!
MIGHT cause problems ive had plenty of used bikes and cars and i might add that not many people look after them like i do.
Old 05-08-07, 10:54 AM   #5
monkey

I've seen some of the blurb Blue but it looks like a big advert trying to sell you something at the end of it!

Old 05-08-07, 12:32 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
There are 2 clear schools of thought on this, run it in fast, everything seats properly and quickly, do it slow and the engine is likely to be less powerful and use more oil.

There is plenty of blurb on this nature on the net if you are truly interested
Yup, but how much do we trust it is the question? I know I'd rather have a bike that was broken in hard than too soft, that's the worst option of all. Barrels and rings definately seem to like a fast break in, who knows about the rest? If I ever do my busa piston swap, I'll be getting YPE to run it in on their dyno for me, since the bottom end's nicely run in at 30-odd thousand miles (plus, it was a demonstrator once so it was probably doing wheelies the day after its 500 mile service
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-07, 07:03 PM   #7
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Yup, but how much do we trust it is the question? I know I'd rather have a bike that was broken in hard than too soft, that's the worst option of all. Barrels and rings definately seem to like a fast break in, who knows about the rest? If I ever do my busa piston swap, I'll be getting YPE to run it in on their dyno for me, since the bottom end's nicely run in at 30-odd thousand miles (plus, it was a demonstrator once so it was probably doing wheelies the day after its 500 mile service
My dad is old skool ... last couple of cars he has bought he has asked about running them in ... they have said 'you don't need to, just drive normally sir'.

Not only is engineering so precise these days and oil so good, to be fair, who can mercilessly 'thrash' a bike for long periods anyway (on the road), things get in the way like villages or tractors!! for it to be on song too long
Old 05-08-07, 07:16 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

I just opened up one of the broken engines I had in the garage, some bits of it look like they were machined out with a wood chisel
But we're oh so easily swayed"

Last edited by northwind; 05-08-07 at 07:37 PM.
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-07, 07:23 PM   #9
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
I just opened up one of the broken engines I had in the garage, some bits of it look like they were machine out with a wood chisel
Now I know you love your SVs, but you trying to tell me Jesus makes SV engines?!?!?
Old 05-08-07, 07:28 PM   #10
Alpinestarhero

I know of a guy who blew up two kawasaki zx6r engines from thrashing it from new

He had to pay for the third engine after he fessed up that he didint run it in as per the book

Matt