SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-09-20, 01:45 PM   #1
joshodonnello

Default Clutch slipping/won't select neutral

Hi.
I have a 1999 SV650 x.
I have had it for around 10 months (first bike). And only has 14k miles on it but
but is old so i suspect it has done a lot of sitting around over it's 20 year life.

I had an issue where the clutch became light and was slipping when I opened the throttle, no power and not gaining revs as it should. This seemed to get worse the longer I was riding.
I followed the clutch adjustment methods on this forum but the problem still persisted.

So I took apart the clutch. Plates were within minimum limits but springs weren't so I changed the lot as well as the clutch cable.
Problem still persists but on top of that it now won't select neutral when stationary with the engine on as well as the original slippage under speed. Bike shifts fine whilst riding but has the slippage problem when you open it up.

I have adjusted and readjusted everything in different positions. It has fresh oil at the correct level and the chain is recently cleaned and within the 20-30mm slack specified in the haynes manual.

My thoughts now is that it is the clutch release mechanism is worn. I have cleaned and re-greased this. There is a bit of play in it but I am not sure what the limits are.
Can someone please point me in the right direction. I'm hoping it is the mechanism as I am all out of ideas!

Thanks
joshodonnello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-20, 02:20 PM   #2
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Clutch slipping/won't select neutral

What oil is in it, the type and what level is it set at? Too high oil level often can make it difficult to select neutral.

Also some clarification sought, when you say no power and not gaining revs do you mean the engine is lacking power yet the clutch is still slipping, in which case the engine revs will rise but the bike doesn't go faster.
Is it actually firing on both cylinders? Are the plugs wet/sooty, which would be a sign of sticking chokes.

Last edited by embee; 22-09-20 at 02:25 PM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-20, 03:11 PM   #3
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshodonnello View Post
Hi.
I have a 1999 SV650 x.
I have had it for around 10 months (first bike). And only has 14k miles on it but
but is old so i suspect it has done a lot of sitting around over it's 20 year life.

I had an issue where the clutch became light and was slipping when I opened the throttle, no power and not gaining revs as it should. This seemed to get worse the longer I was riding.
I followed the clutch adjustment methods on this forum but the problem still persisted.

So I took apart the clutch. Plates were within minimum limits but springs weren't so I changed the lot as well as the clutch cable.
Problem still persists but on top of that it now won't select neutral when stationary with the engine on as well as the original slippage under speed. Bike shifts fine whilst riding but has the slippage problem when you open it up.

I have adjusted and readjusted everything in different positions. It has fresh oil at the correct level and the chain is recently cleaned and within the 20-30mm slack specified in the haynes manual.

My thoughts now is that it is the clutch release mechanism is worn. I have cleaned and re-greased this. There is a bit of play in it but I am not sure what the limits are.
Can someone please point me in the right direction. I'm hoping it is the mechanism as I am all out of ideas!

Thanks
Have a read here,

https://cx500.000webhostapp.com/SV650ClutchLifter.html

HTH
Old 22-09-20, 06:20 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Assume the bike has JASO MA clutch friendly engine oil in it, normal car engine oil has friction modifiers in it that are not good news for a wet clutch.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-20, 09:15 PM   #5
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Sounds like the lifter under the sprocket cover isn't set right. Follow the adjustment instructions and don't over-tighten the centre screw. Slacked the cable right off, hold the lever on the lifter down and adjust the screw until it only just touches, before you back off 1/8-1/4 of a turn and lock it. It's easy to screw it in too far. Also presume the clutch cable is moving freely, not kinked?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-20, 08:35 AM   #6
joshodonnello

Thanks guys.
The oil is at the correct level. It is the correct weight but may not be the correct spec. I will change it out to make sure. Do you have a recommended type/brand to use?
I will follow that guide and have another look at the lifter. It seems to me as if the clutch isn't disengaging all the way but also isn't engaging all the way because of the slippage.
The engine seems to be running fine. I will take a look at the plugs.
As for getting power down. Overall it is down on power. It seems like it is struggling to gain revs and has the feeling of wanting to gain speed but you can feel the bike pulling back as i'm trying to gain speed. Hope that makes sense.
Old 23-09-20, 08:38 AM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Thanks guys.
The oil is at the correct level. It is the correct weight but may not be the correct spec. I will change it out to make sure. Do you have a recommended type/brand to use?
I will follow that guide and have another look at the lifter. It seems to me as if the clutch isn't disengaging all the way but also isn't engaging all the way because of the slippage.
The engine seems to be running fine. I will take a look at the plugs.
As for getting power down. Overall it is down on power. It seems like it is struggling to gain revs and has the feeling of wanting to gain speed but you can feel the bike pulling back as i'm trying to gain speed. Hope that makes sense.
This is the oil I use in my 99

https://www.smithandallan.com/produc...otorcycle-oil/

Around £19 delivered. I get two oil changes out of this amount.

A bad plug or Plug cap can limit power. Some more info here,

https://cx500.000webhostapp.com/SV65..._And_Caps.html
Old 23-09-20, 08:53 AM   #8
joshodonnello

Also do you guys have a recommended site to get spare parts from?
Cheers
Old 23-09-20, 08:56 AM   #9
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Also do you guys have a recommended site to get spare parts from?
Cheers
It depends on what you want/need?

There's several sites but I usually have to shop around. For some things eBay can be fine. I recently did a full fuel system service including fuel lines and added an inline fuel filter. All parts from eBay including the Carb service kit @ around £16 for complete Carb kit

Robinsons can be useful,

https://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/s...650xaircleaner

You'll find more as you go along.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 23-09-20 at 09:12 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-20, 09:23 AM   #10
joshodonnello

Just for future reference, wasn't sure if there was a "best" supplier to go to.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll get some new oil ordered and test the spark plugs/caps when I can. I have done a visual check on them before and remember them being a b**** to get access to so i'm not looking forward to that.
I'll report back with my findings.