SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-08-05, 08:03 PM   #1
M.C.

Default speed limit question

what is the speed limit for a National Speed limit duel carrage way with a central reservation i belive it is 70mph and 60mph for one without a cental reservation and a single carrage way, i've been having discusions with people for a while now and i'm not 100% sure as it does'nt say what it is in the highway code
thanks
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-05, 08:20 PM   #2
Ed

Default Re: speed limit question

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C.
what is the speed limit for a National Speed limit duel carrage way with a central reservation i belive it is 70mph and 60mph for one without a cental reservation and a single carrage way, i've been having discusions with people for a while now and i'm not 100% sure as it does'nt say what it is in the highway code
thanks
Correct
Old 12-08-05, 08:25 PM   #3
jenni

It amazing how many people don't get this one. I have been arguing about this one for weeks at work there is a stretch of a nearby by pass that is national speed limit - but then it changes to 60. Still most of them won't belive you are allowed to do 70 on the first bit.

...so I ask them - why would they put a new speed limit sign up saying 60- if the national speed limit was 60????
Old 12-08-05, 08:30 PM   #4
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni
It amazing how many people don't get this one. I have been arguing about this one for weeks at work there is a stretch of a nearby by pass that is national speed limit - but then it changes to 60. Still most of them won't belive you are allowed to do 70 on the first bit.

...so I ask them - why would they put a new speed limit sign up saying 60- if the national speed limit was 60????
its the biddies that think the national speed limit is 50 and flash me when I go past them legally doing 70
Old 12-08-05, 09:57 PM   #5
hall13uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni

its the biddies that think the national speed limit is 50 and flash me when I go past them legally doing 70
to be fair to the biddies i think its been so long since they did there test , they dont know half the rules of the road my stepdad has no idea . but there is nothing to say he can't be on the road.
Old 12-08-05, 10:47 PM   #6
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall13uk

to be fair to the biddies i think its been so long since they did there test , they dont know half the rules of the road my stepdad has no idea . but there is nothing to say he can't be on the road.[/quote]

I agree, My Grandad, god rest him, never passed a driving test or even took one, he was given his liecence during the war, along with loads of other people.
Old 13-08-05, 10:30 AM   #7
jonhunt

go with the flow of the trafic or do 65.

see a camra do 60

what i do
Old 13-08-05, 10:42 AM   #8
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhunt
see a camra do 60
Why? If the national speed limit is 70 on a dual-carraigeway why not not slow to 70 when you see a camera? After all the cameras are set to go off above 70 (likely just below 80) and your speedo reads proud anyway.

One of the things that really bugs me is motorists that slow to 60 unnecessarily - sorry Jon .

Old 13-08-05, 10:50 AM   #9
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
One of the things that really bugs me is motorists that slow to 60 unnecessarily - sorry Jon
And those that slow for a speed camera even when aready under the limit - causes many a near rear-end shunt.
Old 13-08-05, 11:30 AM   #10
norvidick

Hi all,
most dual carrageways are 70MPH but there is one that is 60MPH for near its entire length that is the A46 from Birmingham airport through to the M45 just after the Rugby turn off so not all the dual carrageways are the national speed.
And there are about four cameras that are hidden behind road signs yes tey are painted yellow but you cant see them till it is to late.
Regards ****