SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-12-05, 10:36 AM   #1
creamerybutter

Default Right, I think it's time to put the bike away..

Well I went road surfing this morning slowly going round a corner and lost the back wheel on a road that (I discovered when trying to get the bike up) hadn't been gritted and was like an ice rink. The bloke who stopped to help me almost went over on the ice.

The bike isn't too damaged, mainly just scuffing but the radiator cap came off and all the coolant leaked out and the back brake lever snapped off and I think my bars may be bent so I may invest in some nice replacements. I am confused how the rim round the light got scuffed but the indicators are fine

So I am going to put the thing away till the new year and just use the bus/train .

I have questions regarding the radiator, it looks fine the metal plate on the side is scuffed badly and is has been push across slightly but other than the cap it seems fine. What should I test on it before I think about using it? Also is the coolant corrosive? Because a fair bit got spilled over the tank engine and frame?
Old 07-12-05, 11:24 AM   #2
Last Action Pimp

sorry to hear the bad news,

my friends experience the same scuffing on the headlight, and she went down on the same side as you, strange
Old 07-12-05, 11:33 AM   #3
Captain Nemo

if there is anti freeze in the coolant then this will definately damage paint and plastic, just rinse it off well and youll be ok.
Old 07-12-05, 11:34 AM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-05, 11:40 AM   #5
jonboy

Bad luck, hope you get things sorted - at least you're okay that's the main thing.

Old 07-12-05, 11:42 AM   #6
Skip
Mega Poster

At least you are ok and the bike doesnt sound too bad....
Old 07-12-05, 11:43 AM   #7
thor

My road's pretty icy these days and it's hilly too so the SV has pretty much been retired for the time being. I don't really have time to ride this December anyway!
Old 07-12-05, 11:52 AM   #8
creamerybutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Nemo
if there is anti freeze in the coolant then this will definately damage paint and plastic, just rinse it off well and youll be ok.
Bugger, I'll have hobble out the bike and hose it down.

Cheers all. The only real problems with the bike is the broken brake lever and the possible damage to the rad. the bar end, leavers, exhaust are all scuffed but fine and the bars may be bent.

I think I may get a nice shiny new exhaust in the New Year and possibly some new bars.
Old 07-12-05, 12:03 PM   #9
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Default Re: Right, I think it's time to put the bike away..

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamerybutter
I have questions regarding the radiator, it looks fine the metal plate on the side is scuffed badly and is has been push across slightly but other than the cap it seems fine. What should I test on it before I think about using it?
Fill the radiator back up and run the bike. Any leaks should be apparent when the temperature and pressure get up.

Alternatively, you could whip the rad off the bike and get it pressure tested at a radiator fixxer upperer! Two minute job to get the rad off a naked bike. Might want to loosen the fan bolts while it's still connected to the bike.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-05, 12:06 PM   #10
BillyC
Mega Poster

Creamery,

Very sorry to hear this! It sounds like you had a milder version of my crash last year. Hopefully I can give you some tips from experience:

That radiator is a pain, you'll probably need a new cap at the very least, which isn't cheap I'm afraid. Have a close look at the radiator's filler - it's probably damaged from having the cap ripped off. You'll need to get this repaired as it's a pressurised system. It's worth removing the radiator after draining all the coolant and taking it to a professional - they'll be able to repair it, and pressure test it. Replacement radiators cost an arm, unless you go down the custom route.

The light is probably scuffed because the bike nosed into the road. Mine did the same, and you'll find that the forks are now probably twisted, and maybe even bent. They'll need setting straight again, which isn't too much trouble, but if they're bent, you'll need to go and see a pro.

Bars - yup, they'll be bent, they're made of cheese too! Renthals are a cheap quality replacement, but don't offer the same feel or riding position that you may be used to from the OEM's.

The coolant isn't corrosive, it wouldn't be much good in your engine if it were. However, it may leave a crystalline residue if it dries. That's easily removed with a damp cloth, but you might want to rise the bike off first.

If you need a hand getting it fixed, let me know.