SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-10-18, 07:46 AM   #31
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rear brake still sticking after servicing.

Wow, crazy. TBH I haven't read the whole thread. When the caliper is off the bike, can you pump the lever and see the piston retract even a slight bit? And does the piston move back with assistance easily? Wondering if a seal might be on the wrong side out or something? Long shot, but might be the case.
Old 16-10-18, 09:26 AM   #32
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

As far as I know the seals fitted were square. Should they be tapered, and if so which way out?
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-18, 10:58 AM   #33
Mega Poster

Lumpy ridge facing outwards, flat surface sits in the groove
Old 16-10-18, 11:00 AM   #34
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I will check the caliper I removed...
Old 16-10-18, 11:01 AM   #35
Mega Poster

Cool, fingers crossed!
Old 16-10-18, 04:17 PM   #36
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Seals on the problematic caliper that I removed look square. When fitted they do have a ridge which sits slightly proud on the inside. This made me think it was the wrong way around, so I flipped it and the ridge is still on the inside. Something to do with the seal recess? The seal definitely looks square when removed. I've cleaned the inside of the caliper and seal recesses when I fitted the new seals and piston a few months ago.
Old 16-10-18, 04:44 PM   #37
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Seals on the problematic caliper that I removed look square. When fitted they do have a ridge which sits slightly proud on the inside. This made me think it was the wrong way around, so I flipped it and the ridge is still on the inside. Something to do with the seal recess? The seal definitely looks square when removed. I've cleaned the inside of the caliper and seal recesses when I fitted the new seals and piston a few months ago.
Tbh it's been so long since I cleaned a set of 650 calipers (front and rear) that I can't remember it the outer seal has the ridge or not. I imagine it does as the caliper serves no different function to the fronts, really.

I'd it a sliding caliper like the fronts, or a solid unit? Maybe the sliding pin is fudged. All seems really odd this!
Old 16-10-18, 06:58 PM   #38
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

It's working fine now with the original fixed caliper back on there, and that's using the pins from the one that wasn't. Process of elimination suggests there must be a problem with the caliper. Be good to say what though in case it can help problem solve for others in the future. For now my only fix has been to put my old caliper back on with the mounting thread recut straight (the reason it was removed and replaced originally).
Old 17-10-18, 10:52 AM   #39
Bibio
Mega Poster

i'll put it down to the new SS piston, it might be slightly bigger than the OEM one.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-18, 12:35 PM   #40
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i'll put it down to the new SS piston, it might be slightly bigger than the OEM one.

This had crossed my mind too. I've kept the original piston in the caliper that's fitted and working. The way to find out would to be put the SS piston into the caliper that's currently working and see if it stops working. Not something I'm going to do right now having swapped it all about several times the last few days. Maybe next time I change the seals.

The SS piston was easy enough to push back in by hand though. Similar in feel to the original. Tolerances must be fairly fine on them though.