SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-12-12, 02:32 PM   #1
TCochrane

Default 'FI' error message on dashboard

Just went to a quick ride, stopped at a shop, turned it back on but didn't do the normal "whirring" sound as the fuel pump primed itself, instead it came up with 'FI' warning flashing.

Turned bike off, switched back on and 'FI' flashed again.

Turned off, switched back on and it whirred happily and the 'FI' message was gone?

Is it just a random fault with no obvious cause or do I need to put some injector cleaner or something through?

I last serviced my SV about 3 months ago, 1000 miles done since.

SK3 650

-Tim
Old 16-12-12, 02:37 PM   #2
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Default Re: 'FI' error message on dashboard

Could be the fuel pump playing up, just keep an eye on it, but don't worry about it too much. May also be the sidestand switch or clutch switch beginning to play up though as I've never had this, I cannot be sure if the FI light comes on with these faults.

Regards
Phil

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-12, 02:51 PM   #3
muzikill
Mega Poster

Check the official sv manual for the suzuki mechanics. There is a excellent fault finding tutorial for the 'F1' fault. My 'F1' was the sidestand switch.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-12, 06:23 PM   #4
Merv121

ive only ever had FI flash when my alarm has gone off when turning ignition on, then after alarm has gone off FI will just flash till i turn ignition off and on again, thats the only one i know of
Old 16-12-12, 07:58 PM   #5
DanSp

Dodgy switch on your RH switchgear? My dad used his to kill the engine all the time instead of just using the key, then one day it just stopped! New switch an it was away!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DanSp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-12, 11:32 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

the buzz buzz you here when turning the bike on is not the pump priming its the STV being set.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-12, 12:41 PM   #7
RedTop

MY FI error was the O2 sensor (so my dealer said)
Old 17-12-12, 01:08 PM   #8
saucysaunders

Bibio, what is STV?
I took my kill switch apart like DanSp said and this stopped happening to mine. The connections were dodgy
Old 17-12-12, 01:53 PM   #9
phil24_7
Mega Poster

If you had ignition lights, no whirring noise and it would not turn over then it is most likely to be clutch switch, side stand switch, kill switch or fule pump playing up. Check these before anything else, though you will probably need to wait for the problem to occur again.

Regards

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-12, 04:12 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

Secondary Throttle Valve.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote