SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-01-09, 12:38 AM   #1
$tevo

Default Hd tv

So the telly packed in before Christmas so we chipped in and toddled off to Currys to get a nice big lcd thing that's HD ready but up to now, all we've got is normal Virgin cable and a nice upscaling DVD player that does a decent job.

Virgin doesn't look too thrilling regarding it's HD channels, Freeview's got nowt yet either.

Is Freesat worth getting? What have Sky got to offer? Or is it all pie in the sky for the next umpteen years?

What's the way to go?
Old 12-01-09, 01:35 AM   #2
chakraist

Default Re: Hd tv

I use my 360 to watch HD movies and at home we have V+ which offers, at the moment, BBC HD. In America, lots of shows are broadcast in HD, it looks like Sky is probably your best bet at the moment for HD content.
Old 12-01-09, 09:58 AM   #3
kwak zzr

sky HD has lots on offer now but its the extra £10 that puts me off.
Old 12-01-09, 10:51 AM   #4
wyrdness

I think that we (Sky) have about 30 HD channels now.

Upscaling DVD players aren't really worth it. They don't provide any more detail to the picture. Your TV has an upscaler too and my TV does a better job of upscaling than my Panasonic DVD player.
Old 12-01-09, 11:04 AM   #5
flymo
Mega Poster

Freesat is well worth a go, you'll need a dish though but its a one off payment and no subscription
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 11:21 AM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by $tevo View Post
So the telly packed in before Christmas so we chipped in and toddled off to Currys to get a nice big lcd thing that's HD ready but up to now, all we've got is normal Virgin cable and a nice upscaling DVD player that does a decent job.

Virgin doesn't look too thrilling regarding it's HD channels, Freeview's got nowt yet either.

Is Freesat worth getting? What have Sky got to offer? Or is it all pie in the sky for the next umpteen years?

What's the way to go?
Personaly, i wouldnt bother. I reckno in the next 5 years or so you will be streaming HD content straight from your PC/internet with online video services. Watching things like Eastenders in HD is pointless! Its really there for films, and wildlife programmes.

This insight into the future has been brought to you by the letters a and f and the number 7
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 11:28 AM   #7
gettin2dizzy

If you want a plasma; buy one now. Because yes.... they're being banned by the EU. Meddling you say?!