SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-12-07, 09:33 AM   #1
gettin2dizzy

Default Traffic Officers

Anyone watch it on BBC 1 lastnight? Jesus ..... what an odd bunch of people. I'm amazed the police actuaslly let it be shown! They only came across as very smug, trouble making, desperate to tell everyone they're in the wrong, trouble making, unintelligent and did I mention trouble making?

I'd love to have faith in the police, to work with them and respect them but programmes like this - which are even funded by the police - really show them for what they are.

(I won't class you as one of these Bluepete)
Old 13-12-07, 09:37 AM   #2
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Default Re: Traffic Officers

No, I have to admit, I turned it off sharpish!

I'm never sure we come across very well in shows like that!

There was a distinct lack of lunging though. An easy opportunity missed I thought..
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-07, 09:42 AM   #3
gettin2dizzy

I loved the 'counter terrorism squad' ...

Given loads of money for all the latest kit and cars, looking for terrorism by driving around..... riiight. Checking for someone walking down the street with a box marked 'warning - uranium inside - this way up ^'

The guy on the scooter was an eye opening experience, with the cop deliberately winding him up. Every time he walked away to 'calm down' the policeman went right back up to him provoking him. He did it repeatedly. *****.
Old 13-12-07, 09:44 AM   #4
G
Mega Poster

Most of my experience with traffic police have been good, generally alright.

There is the odd idiot who are up there own **** and filled with some sort of belief that they are important and more powerful than everyone else, from my experience they seem to be few and a far between in these parts.

Police Specials are the amusing ones.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-07, 09:46 AM   #5
gettin2dizzy

They speak a different language too.
Old 13-12-07, 09:48 AM   #6
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
The guy on the scooter was an eye opening experience, with the cop deliberately winding him up. Every time he walked away to 'calm down' the policeman went right back up to him provoking him. He did it repeatedly. *****.
There was a case like this the other week on it.

The copper kept telling the guy in the car to go........but then wouldnt let go of the guys car door.

The guy said 'let go of my door then' and the copper said 'watch how you speak to me or I will have you for a public order offence aswell'

The copper refused to let go of the door as he wanted to shut the door himself....WTF is that all about, its patronising ******** and a sure fire way to wind someone up and get a reaction.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-07, 09:50 AM   #7
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
Most of my experience with traffic police have been good, generally alright.

There is the odd idiot who are up there own **** and filled with some sort of belief that they are important and more powerful than everyone else, from my experience they seem to be few and a far between in these parts.
This is also my experience. I've only encountered one who was a real ****er and even he was only annoying in terms of how he said what he had to say, what he was doing was fine. The few I know socially have all been decent chaps too. Even if you dislike them, you must concede that there is at least some small chance they will have a shred of humanity/decency/common sense and not bust you for very minor, harmless motoring offences, unlike those bloody cameras that are set to replace them.
Old 13-12-07, 09:51 AM   #8
neio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
I loved the 'counter terrorism squad' ...

Given loads of money for all the latest kit and cars, looking for terrorism by driving around..... riiight. Checking for someone walking down the street with a box marked 'warning - uranium inside - this way up ^'

Simple solution to that, get nicked for a micky mouse charge public order etc, the cop will spend the rest of his shift in custody and writing paperwork out while you sit in a cell and get released in the morning with a nice brew and a brekkie in you, you walk out smug in the knowledge caused him/her to be late of shift!! LOL

Remember stay calm and just say things like yes officer its ok nick me walk calmly to the van get in be over nice and happy with them, i am sure that will p them off more LOL

they have more to lose by nicking you for a petty charge really, its a waste of their time. My Mrs was telling me they only arrest for things like that as a last resort purley because it causes them so much paperwork especially if its near the end of their shift!
Old 13-12-07, 09:54 AM   #9
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
The copper refused to let go of the door as he wanted to shut the door himself....WTF is that all about, its patronising ******** and a sure fire way to wind someone up and get a reaction.
I often wonder on these sort of shows (not that I saw this one in particular, but I've seen similar behaviour on others), how much is intentional to "get a rise" out of the poor sod being busted to make it more entertaining for the cameras. Always better for the viewing figures it the suspect kicks off and has to be restrained... If this seems far fetched, consider that we already know they arbitrarily alter the limit at which they prosecute people when they have film crews with them, just so they don't spend night after night driving around without any 'action'.
Old 13-12-07, 09:58 AM   #10
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
I often wonder on these sort of shows (not that I saw this one in particular, but I've seen similar behaviour on others), how much is intentional to "get a rise" out of the poor sod being busted to make it more entertaining for the cameras. Always better for the viewing figures it the suspect kicks off and has to be restrained... If this seems far fetched, consider that we already know they arbitrarily alter the limit at which they prosecute people when they have film crews with them, just so they don't spend night after night driving around without any 'action'.
It's funded by the police to (as on cop even said in the show lasnight) 'break down the barriers between the police and the public' so it should be the police on their best behaviour following out the big chiefs orders. They looked like schoolboys who'd been let loose for the day...