SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-11-23, 11:15 AM   #11151
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Car insurance (and insurance in general) has gone up a lot this year. The problems are multiple, leading to big hikes in premiums. LV have a thing about it on their website...

https://www.lv.com/car-insurance/renewal-explained
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-23, 12:06 PM   #11152
Kenzie

I changed from a 2001 Honda Civic coupe to a 2011 Audi A6 saloon this year, got a hell of a shock because I haven't paid more than £250 a year for a long time. But a lot of insurers are blaming cost of paint, materials and labour for premium hikes.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
Kenzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-23, 01:14 PM   #11153
redtrummy

House Insurance £180 to £280 LV - swapped company. Bikes £120 to £180, Adrian Flux, swapped company now £102. AF came back with £97 but checking on Trustpilot the company they were going to use got 1.7 stars! So now with Bennetts. Cannot carry a pillion or ride other bikes (on either quoted policy) Car, Civic has gone to the scrapheap in the sky, so now its a Corolla Hybrid. Insurance has gone up from £150 to £240 odd. Went on comparison website and the cheapest quote £500! so paid the £240 LV. Motorhome about £20 more this year to be around £240 as well, LV again. All in all a nice tidy sum especially since between us we average around 5000 miles a year
redtrummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-23, 04:09 PM   #11154
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
now its a Corolla Hybrid.
I'd be very interested in your impressions of that, we're looking at replacing our 8-year-old Corsa and both me and my wife now have a taste for automatics after my last company car.

Which model do you have?

We have a Toyota main dealer 3 miles from us, which is handy, and I like the look of the new Yaris as well as the newer Corolla.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-23, 06:26 PM   #11155
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

My daughter has a Yaris (1 year old on lease) and it is a very nice car. I'd prefer something a smidge bigger for the longer journeys I do so the Corolla estate is a possible for me next.

I've been with Ford for years but they're on the SUV bandwagon and likely to drop the Focus soon. SUVs are just not my bag hence potentially jumping ship.

And my car insurance is a good 50% up this year. Got a very slightly better deal by switching from LV to Admiral but hardly worth the hour I lost on the phone to do so!
Old 14-11-23, 09:32 PM   #11156
Craig380
Mega Poster

The Yaris is very well reviewed by the motoring press and I do like the look of them. I feel some test drives coming on
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-23, 10:12 AM   #11157
redtrummy

Its a Corolla - picked I think on the colour 2020 model. Apparently new ones are much better, but this does the job. I wonder bif Ibshould have had an estate version but I did check that I could getbthe road bike in the back without having to dismantle it. ThebYaris Cross is a nice size, a bit taller than standard. Its our first foray into automatics, took a little getting use to nut as time goes on getting to like it more
Bit of a techo shock after the 20 year old Civic I can tell you. No CD player so am in the process of sticking all our CDs on a stick.
Old 15-11-23, 07:33 PM   #11158
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Bit of a techo shock after the 20 year old Civic I can tell you. No CD player so am in the process of sticking all our CDs on a stick.
Ha ha ha, I deliberately did not spec the CD player option when we ordered Lady Poppy's car last year and she looked quite disappointed that she could not leave increasingly scratched discs and damaged cases all over this car. Hopefully your Corolla will have Carplay and/or Android Auto (depending on your phone preference) as I use Spotify in my car if I don't feel like using the DAB radio.
Old 16-11-23, 09:36 AM   #11159
redtrummy

The real nice thing is the quietness of the engine and the quality of the sound out of the radio etc. Again its a couple of generations on from the Civic.. The Civic was collected in the morning, we went to a car supermarket straight away, got totally overwelmed by the choice so I asked the wife 'which do you like ' (hence chosen on colour one quick test drive and into the Pub for a late celibratory lunchtime. After some 50 years on the road its the only test drive that I have had before purchasing a vehicle and as vehicles go only one was a disappointment and that was reliability issues, but that did over 100k before I got rid. I guess loads of cars would fit the bill for us. My biggest concern in the future is will all the bells and whistles prove to be a liability.
Old 16-11-23, 05:01 PM   #11160
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Vehicle tax, cheeky ratbags. Got the Peugot in January, taxed it, now at the end of November I have to pay for another year's tax. Goodness knows how much they are raking in from folks with this con.

Good job it's only £35 a year.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote