SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 29-07-11, 07:02 AM   #1
kellyjo

Default Must-ride roads

Hi guys,

Im coming over to Snowonia next weekend for a few days, staying in Oswestry Friday, Caernarfon Saturday and back in Oswestry Sunday.

Having been over recently with the kids for a week in the car I know the main roads but was wondering if you could recommend the best roads for riding on the bike. Also any good 'biker' lunch haunts. To be honest, coming from East Anglia, every road will be a treat i'm sure

Thanks, Kj xx
Old 29-07-11, 07:54 AM   #2
christopher

Default Re: Must-ride roads

Aww that's the AR weekend otherwise would have come out to play and show you around

How many miles you looking to do each day?

These can both be tweaked/extended or shortened, but this would be my choice of route from Oswestry to Caernarfon. And then coming back from Caernarfon to Oswestry.

Will post more detail when I'm not supposed to be in a meeting
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 06:02 PM   #3
christopher

A well known place for bikes to meet is the Ponderosa Cafe. Included it on the route back to Oswestry as they'll likely be a fair few bikes there if you're travelling back on the Sunday (also means you take in the Horseshoe Pass). I don't think much of the food there (just my opinion), much rather go to Rhug Organic Farm which is nearby (about 2 minutes off part of the route back I posted).

As long you stay off the A5 as much as possible (it's not a bad road as such in places, just heavily policed and full of ****s) and likewise avoid the A55 (or at least the temptation to speed on it) up top you'll be fine. If you want to go up to Conwy from Betws-y-Coed, I'd take the B road that runs alongside the main A470 as they'll be less traffic/chance of any police.

You won't go far with wrong with the vast majority of roads really! Enjoy yourself
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 07:38 PM   #4
kellyjo

Thanks Christopher, thats a real help x
Old 04-08-11, 08:32 AM   #5
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I'll second what Christopher said, pretty hard to go wrong. I will say to stay away from the A5 as much as possible after Corwen, better roads to be had elsewhere and less weekend warriors winding up the cars.

EDIT: Chris's routes take in most of the gems, you should follow them
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Last edited by Luckypants; 04-08-11 at 08:37 AM.
Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote