SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-09-08, 08:51 PM   #1
Aidan

Default Another rear shock question

I know this has been covered a few times, but I wanted a slightly more specific answer!

What shock will fit a K3 (excluding an SV shock or an aftermarket one) with the minimum of cutting involved? I realise it will be a GSXR or 636 shock, bit is there a specific year to go for?

Also any recommedations for the hardest wearing (for the cost) chain/sprocket combo - ideally endless as I've just removed the swingarm.

Thanks.
Old 17-09-08, 09:42 PM   #2
thefallenangel

Default Re: Another rear shock question

i got the GSXR1000 shock K5 but word of warning there was quite a bit of cutting and i've got to make up a new housing for the battery as it's currently resting on plastic but got gaffer tape as there's small gaps for water, crap to get it.

If you go Gixxer then get copper grease to do all the bushes,linkages etc . . espically as your bike is 5 years old and make sure you sort the front end first otherwise it won't make it much better.
Old 17-09-08, 10:03 PM   #3
fastdruid
Mega Poster

No, not copper grease for the linkages.

Copper grease is anti-seize, not for lubrication.

Lithium grease (the normal multi purpose stuff) for the linkage bearings, maybe with a touch of molybdenum di-sulphide grease (anti-scuff).

You can use copper grease just on the 'shafts' of the bolts so that they don't seize inside the bearing inners or frame parts. If you put it on the threads it'll affect the tightening torque, either don't or adjust the torque settings accordingly. I do them up 'dry' then coat the heads with grease so they don't rust.

Druid
Old 17-09-08, 10:17 PM   #4
xXBADGERXx

Sv K3 is easier to do as the subframe is different on it so you only need to cut the battery box a little , have a look here http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...badgerxx+shock . I used a K4 GSXR1000 shock

Last edited by xXBADGERXx; 17-09-08 at 10:19 PM.
Old 17-09-08, 10:18 PM   #5
sv650k4

Wot bike is it curvy or a pointy??? basically any K series/model gsxr shock will fit but as far as i no all of them will still mean you need 2 cut the battery box or wot i did when i had the gsxr fitted was move the hole battery/under tray back about an inch but more time needed 2 do it etc...but then you dont need 2 jack the battery up nor do you have a lump out of the battery box!

Old 17-09-08, 10:22 PM   #6
xXBADGERXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
Also any recommedations for the hardest wearing (for the cost) chain/sprocket combo - ideally endless as I've just removed the swingarm.

Thanks.
I have a DID X-Ring chain and Carbon Steel JT sprockets in conjunction with a Scottoiler , the Scottoiler will prolong your chain life for a long time . I got mine from www.bandcexpress.com for about £96
Old 17-09-08, 10:40 PM   #7
St0rmer66

I don't understand why more people don't go for a ZX10R shock? The one from 2004ish (when it changed from ZX9R to ZX10R). All I had to do was cut a little bit of the battery box and put some foam in there and then cut a tiny hole in the black infill piece of the fairing to allow access to the adjuster (just enough to get a screwdriver through). Got mine for £60! Bargain when you consider what a difference it makes. But I recommend getting some new fork springs (progressives work perfectly for me on the road) and fork oil while you're at it. Both mods combined are excellent.
Old 17-09-08, 11:32 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

The pointies are different

Bearings:

Get some parrafin, remove all old grease, work new grease into the bearings, I use castrol BNS. Use a little copperslip, a thin coat on the bolt, reduce torque by 10%.
Old 18-09-08, 08:52 AM   #9
Aidan

Thanks for the help. I really only commute on the SV, but thought it may be worth changing the shock after 24k as it's looking rusty now and the rear swingarm is off. But if I need to fiddle with the front first then I don't think I'll bother (the forks are quite pitted so I wouldn't want to bottom them out to refill them as I'll probably knacker the seals).

Maybe I'll just change the chain then and fit a scotoiler.