SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-07-08, 06:32 PM   #1
edsurf2004

Default Seat Height (too high for me)

So I'm 5'5" and i reach the ground with teh balls of my feet on both sides, and with the whole foot if i lean a bit to one side.... I recently removed the seat to jump the battery and noticed how much lower it is w/o the seat. So i noticed that the seat must be about 4 or 5 inches higher than the battery and thought.. hey maybe there is a seat that is a couple of inches shorter, which would make all the difference for me.

So, is there such a thing? making the bike shorter by switching the seat? if not is there any other way of making it shorter?

Thanks,

Ed
Old 14-07-08, 06:35 PM   #2
svtomo

Default Re: Seat Height (too high for me)

dunno if you can buy low ones but the person i bought mine off had theirs scooped.it looked tidy and i think im right in sayin it cost them about £30.
Old 14-07-08, 06:36 PM   #3
tanis34

yes there are smaller seats out there also you can buy lowering kits as well , dont know much about them myself but im sure someone will be along later
Old 14-07-08, 06:40 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

As said you can get the foam cut down in the seat, or you can do it yourself.

Personally It sounds like you dont need to get it much lower and I reckon a few inches out of the seat will see you right. I'd try this first before you go lowering the suspension.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-08, 06:46 PM   #5
edsurf2004

I'm thinking if I can get 2 inches on the seat, and another inch on shoe soles, then i'll be much better off, but right now it just is not easy to walk the bike at all, especially backwards which is more necessary since I can ride it forward.

If anyone knows what seat model i should look into and how much lower they are let me know... Also if you know how I should go about cutting down the foam on my current seat let me know (im sure its not that hard, but might get messy and uneven)
Old 14-07-08, 09:22 PM   #6
Aiki

An option is to keep the seat the same height but take an inch off either side so your legs have a more direct route to the ground, this way you dont reduce the distance twix pegs and seat but still get a better purchase on the ground. HTH
Old 14-07-08, 09:49 PM   #7
Ace-T

Thumbs up Re: Seat Height (too high for me)

Thank you for a marvelously timed thread!

Bought a second hand seat that I had sculpted and lowered (existing foam sculpted, memory foam and new cover put on) for £40 and just got it back today. See below for original and new (to me!) lowered seat.

Fitted it to the bike and to be flat footed is wonderful! Feel so much safer and feel if the bike leans a bit I can stop it now. Fantastic!

Trace

PS please excuse the shameful fire, we didn't choose it - honest!
Old 14-07-08, 10:37 PM   #8
maultin

i have had at least 3 inches scooped from my seat & longer dog bones have lowered the bike by another inch. the seat looks great & the lower ride height makes things much more confidence building
Old 15-07-08, 02:36 AM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

I have the same problem but worse.. so i enquired at cupar mc where i'm hopefully going to be the prowd owner of a K8 pointy

anyway .. suzuki do a cut down seat for the bike.. i was quoted about £40

hope this helps

btw .. you can lower the back end by as much as 40mm .. have a look on flebay for a lowering kit they come in at around £20 deliverd.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-08, 02:40 PM   #10
edsurf2004

I went on google maps and put "upholstery" and my town. I found at least 3 within walking distance. So I'm probably gonna get it done there and see who will do it for the least amount of money.
I was wondeirng from you guys who have done this before or looked at a bare seat, how much did you take from the seat and how far can you go without making it too thin?

Also I like the idea about taking some foam off from the side of the seat as well to give your legs a straighter reach towards the ground.