SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-07-09, 05:02 PM   #1
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Default Samson needs ya advice

OK Samson is a mad doggie as we all know, he went for a swim yesterday in the nature reserve, clean water lake but still got stuff in it.

Today he has been biting the top of his tail near to his bum and it seems to be giving him some grief.

I have pressed all his tail and one finger tiped size area hurts, he squeeks when I touch it LOL.

Could he have been simply bitten, I can't see anything at all on his skins to indicate he has. Or do dogs use their tail alot when swimming, could he have strained his little stump?
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 05:04 PM   #2
BigFootIsBlurry

Default Re: Samson needs ya advice

My guess would be a little beastie has bitten him. I dont think he would be chewing it if it was a juscle strain, seems like more of an irritation.

2000 curvy, yellow and naked. Gone but not forgotten.
BigFootIsBlurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 05:19 PM   #3
Speedy Claire

I think he`s probs been bitten Shell... My doberman had a bad habit of chewing the skin where her tail (well she didn`t have one but!) joined her back. Vet said it was just habit but the point is that to stop her chewing I used to put either lavender or tea tree oil on the area... worked a treat. Might stop him chewing the area and making it worse.
Old 04-07-09, 05:26 PM   #4
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Thanx guys, I don't think he can actually reach the spot very easily so isnt chewing much. Just when he stop he runs in circles chasing his tail ROFL.

I am off out tonight and will be worrying ...... naughty insect biting my puppy.

I have put some bacterial powder in not that it will do anythin
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 05:47 PM   #5
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellywoozle View Post
I am off out tonight and will be worrying ...... naughty insect biting my puppy.
Lampshade?

Or find someone you know who's dog has had surgery and has a cone left over
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 06:00 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

worms?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 06:04 PM   #7
metalmonkey

Hvae you checked to make sure there isn't a tick in that area? The cat had one we had to pull it out. If it is, make sure you get everything out don't leave the head behind casue it can be infected.
Old 04-07-09, 06:18 PM   #8
Tallguy

If it is a tick, use a special hook-twister thing, very cheap from pet shops or vets, easy to fully remove the whole thing and not leave parts of the mouth or head behind. Small possibility is wet eczema, annoying and smells v bad, simple to treat with a soothing calamine lotion. Insect bite more likely.
Old 04-07-09, 11:46 PM   #9
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Hi Shelly, there are actually quite a lot of things in water that can bite. Water boatmen can give quite a nasty bite for instance and they look totally harmless! Dragonfly Larvae can bite nastily, pond beetles etc. Whatever it is, if there's nothing visible in the area, it most probably was a bite.

Do you have any Hibiscrub? If you do, dilute it one part Hibiscrub to 10 parts water and use a clean cloth to work it into the area. You can dry it and put more antibacterial powder on it of you want, but you'd be better off leaving it open to the air. Keep an eye on it, keep checking for any swelling or heat and if any occurs, a quick trip to the vet Monday, £30-40 and you'll have some antibiotics and anti-inflamatories.

Most important thing I can say though is try not to let him chase his tail. He might be doing it for a reason now, but he can learn the behaviour. It can become an uncontrollable behaviour eventually and is really not good for them....as much as it can be funny to watch.

Hope he's ok chick and send him Cheryl, Dan, Stig, Hollie, Saffie & Squirrel cuddles!!! xxx
Old 05-07-09, 08:15 AM   #10
the_runt69

Shell,

If he's a spinger sometimes they need to have a little sack by their bums drained if they get an infection. check there's no swelling in the area