SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-02-07, 01:30 PM   #1
wyrdness

Default Hydrogen powered bike on the BBC

The BBC has a video of a hydrogen powered 'commuter bike' (warning - link resizes browser window)

I suspect that this is the way that things will go in the future, though I don't think that I'd like to ride a silent bike.
Old 06-02-07, 01:56 PM   #2
Ceri JC

Default Re: Hydrogen powered bike on the BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdness
I suspect that this is the way that things will go in the future, though I don't think that I'd like to ride a silent bike.
Early trials of silent cars/bikes have shown there are (proportianaly) significantly more accidents involving them than normal ones. Mainly pedestrians stepping out without looking on an otherwise deserted road, because they couldn't hear anything coming.

When manufacturers start adding artificial noise as a safety feature, our green friends kick up that it's noise pollution.
Old 06-02-07, 02:32 PM   #3
thedonal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdness
Early trials of silent cars/bikes have shown there are (proportianaly) significantly more accidents involving them than normal ones. Mainly pedestrians stepping out without looking on an otherwise deserted road, because they couldn't hear anything coming.

When manufacturers start adding artificial noise as a safety feature, our green friends kick up that it's noise pollution.
LOL!! We really are doomed, aren't we?
Old 06-02-07, 02:58 PM   #4
Razor

Quote:
Early trials of silent cars/bikes have shown there are (proportianaly) significantly more accidents involving them than normal ones.
And to think they say that loud pipes don't save lives!
Old 06-02-07, 03:07 PM   #5
robaker

Quote:
Early trials of silent cars/bikes have shown there are (proportianaly) significantly more accidents involving them than normal ones.
Do you have a link or reference for these trials? I'd be interested in how they got the data without first putting the silent vehicles into circulation. I can't believe some boffins decided to stick a silent vehicle on the road and then count the number of pedestrians they ran over.