SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-08-08, 05:17 PM   #1
monkey

Default Justi fitted a standard exhaust. Pipe sealed with silicone. How long before I start motor?

Just fitted my standard exhaust to my pointy and sealed the sleeve pipe with silicone. How long should I wait before I start the motor? I don't want to blow the silicone out but it's a good day to get things done.
Old 25-08-08, 05:23 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: Justi fitted a standard exhaust. Pipe sealed with silicone. How long before I start motor?

it dont take long to dry, leave it half hour or so?
Old 25-08-08, 05:24 PM   #3
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: Justi fitted a standard exhaust. Pipe sealed with silicone. How long before I start motor?

What kind of silicone, was it proper gasket stuff, if so give it 15 mins for a good seal as long as it is just to check for air leaks.
Old 25-08-08, 05:28 PM   #4
monkey

I used bathroom type silicone. Meant to take 24 hours but it's such a thin layer in there.
Old 25-08-08, 05:29 PM   #5
kwak zzr

not long at all.
Old 25-08-08, 06:56 PM   #6
monkey

Thanks fellas. It's gonna get longer to dry than I thought as I have to de-spike the alarm and possibly re-program the remotes. Bloody alarms.
Old 25-08-08, 08:30 PM   #7
TEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey View Post
I used bathroom type silicone.....
I'm probably wrong but aint that just stuff waterproof, not heat proof
Old 25-08-08, 08:32 PM   #8
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEC View Post
nope you spot on wont last long at all, use the oven silicone, or some of that instant gasket

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-08, 05:14 PM   #9
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEC View Post
Correct, you may as well coat the joints in chocolate. Proper gasket silicone is the stuff to use.
Old 26-08-08, 07:08 PM   #10
monkey

Whoops! I'm sure someone on here told me it was fine to use. Says on care sheet it goes up to 140 degrees so I'll give it a run and see what happens. (When I've got road tax of course.)