SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-12-08, 09:08 PM   #1
wilky007

Default Key not working

As anyone got this problem or had it i sometime have trouble turning my ignition key sometimes its fine others it takes ages to turn just gets stuck
Old 27-12-08, 09:13 PM   #2
wooly

Default Re: Key not working

Ive had this once or twice, i dont know if its the right thing to do, but i usually just cover my key in wd40 and spray a bit down the barrel, seems to sort it out for a few months till the next time
Old 27-12-08, 09:58 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Squirt some WD40 or similar down the lock barrel, then learn the 'SV wiggle' - which entails moving the key back and forth along the axis of the flat side, many owners have become wise in the ways of the key wiggle.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-08, 03:58 AM   #4
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Squirt some WD40 or similar down the lock barrel, then learn the 'SV wiggle' - which entails moving the key back and forth along the axis of the flat side, many owners have become wise in the ways of the key wiggle.
+1.

The problem is a spring in the bottom of the lock that sticks. WD40 & if you have to, a short sharp whack will leave it working fine for a while yet.

Some people use a small hammer, I prefer the palm of my hand (because then I don't hit it too hard).

This thread reminds me of SoulKiss calling out breakdown recovery to his bike when he had the same issue, and the recovery guy just gave his key a whack.

T'is a common problem, more so when it's colder naturally.
Old 28-12-08, 10:29 AM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
+1.

The problem is a spring in the bottom of the lock that sticks. WD40 & if you have to, a short sharp whack will leave it working fine for a while yet.

Some people use a small hammer, I prefer the palm of my hand (because then I don't hit it too hard).

This thread reminds me of SoulKiss calling out breakdown recovery to his bike when he had the same issue, and the recovery guy just gave his key a whack.

T'is a common problem, more so when it's colder naturally.
Your memory is faulty - that wasn't me.

What I did when mine went a bit funny (as Kinvig witnessed) was to push it back to the dealers and have them fit a new lockset.

They tried to blame it on a bit of the protective plastic that was on the surround of the lock.

Now, however, that I know better, I'd do the WD40/Whack thing.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-08, 10:33 AM   #6
wilky007

Thanks all used wd40 and working fine now but i will bare the wack in mind for next time
Old 28-12-08, 11:45 AM   #7
Dangerous Dave

WD40 will solve most of the problem, many Suzuki's require the key being pushed forward (toward the clocks) a little at the same time.
Old 28-12-08, 12:22 PM   #8
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Your memory is faulty - that wasn't me.
Hmm, so who was it then? I thought it was you, and I'm sure whoever it was said about the RAC guy coming out & taking the mickey that whoever it was had bothered to call breakdown for it.

That's going to bug me that is...
Old 28-12-08, 01:59 PM   #9
thefallenangel

shouldn't use WD in key locks as it will strip the threads although most SV's here aren't 30+ years old electric panels. Used engine oil will do it.
Old 28-12-08, 03:15 PM   #10
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Don't put engine oil in a lock, it's too sticky and will attract gunk which will make the lock action worse and shorten the life of the lock, (the innards are, as I'm sure you know, made of brass and are thus relatively soft and fragile).
We used to use graphite powder, an excellent lubricant and completely dry so no stickiness to gather goo in your lock, but it's rather harder to obtain in recent times, many locksmiths will suggest - guess what..? WD40 or similar.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote