SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-01-10, 10:54 PM   #1
scottjames

Default the gsxr's derestricted!

as some of you may now my k8 750 was restricted, well no more.

my licence's two years was up on the 14th and so on sat i had the gsxr booked in to the stealer to have it derestricted.

obviously this is a right kick in the pants, the difference is amazing, 33 to 148BHP is quite a jump. but its very rideable and useable. ive been out on it twice first time was bit scary. hit a few white lines spining the back up.

today was a bit dryer so was a lot nicer, few first gear power wheelies but still breaks the traction in this weather and hits the rev limiter.

overall im well happy, its a very easy bike to ride and doesnt put a thing out of place unless you get a bit happy with the throttle and even then im finding its quite controllable. i havent bothered with the mapping just left it in the hardest map. The kick after 8thou rpm is amazing.

hth helps any one thinking one..

scott
Old 17-01-10, 10:56 PM   #2
Sally

Default Re: the gsxr's derestricted!

Change the sig

Congrats mate, I am September
Old 17-01-10, 11:03 PM   #3
scottjames

oo yeah i forgot about tht, im so glad its over.
Old 18-01-10, 09:45 AM   #4
suzsv650

So you had a SV but never rode it De-restricted?
Old 18-01-10, 09:48 AM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjames View Post
The kick after 8thou rpm is amazing.
Fun isnt it. You should get another dollop of power after 10,000rpm as well. Which is another rush again.

I might urge a note of caution, slippy cold, salt encrusted roads arent the best place to explore all that extra performance, Just take it easy

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-10, 10:09 AM   #6
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Fun isnt it. You should get another dollop of power after 10,000rpm as well. Which is another rush again.

I might urge a note of caution, slippy cold, salt encrusted roads arent the best place to explore all that extra performance, Just take it easy

Indeed, I second that one!

Oh and out of interest where did the number 148 come from? I dont want to have to be anal and mention this but 130 is much closer to the mark

Last edited by ThEGr33k; 18-01-10 at 10:12 AM.
Old 18-01-10, 10:57 AM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Oh and out of interest where did the number 148 come from? I dont want to have to be anal and mention this but 130 is much closer to the mark
148bhp is more than likely the power measured at the crank, whereas the 130 you are talking about is the rear wheel bhp I suspect...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-10, 05:45 PM   #8
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
148bhp is more than likely the power measured at the crank, whereas the 130 you are talking about is the rear wheel bhp I suspect...

Yea, but the latter is the one that matters... after all, the engine can make 300bhp at the crank, but if it only gets 130 to the back wheel who cares?

Either way, enjoy the new power but please do go steady, it sure can catch you out! (especially this time of year).
Old 18-01-10, 05:54 PM   #9
scottjames

the sv has been derestricted for about a year and a half. but ive only ever riden it on private roads. the restriction was giving me grief engine wise, it was fitted by suzuki and they didnt know what was wrong took them out problem sorted so i removed them ages ago.

i have been taking it easy, just gettting a feel for it really. i love it. cant wait till summer.

fizz is right, its 148 tht the engine makes, more like 135 at the wheel but 148 sounds cool to me. im sure this feeling will wear off.

cheers guys.
Old 18-01-10, 05:55 PM   #10
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Either way, enjoy the new power but please do go steady, it sure can catch you out! (especially this time of year).
Yes, even in a straight line it can catch you out. Nothing like going WOT and it goes majorly sideways on you as it spins up over 110[1] to wake you up (and that's on a bike with ~40 less HP at the crank)

Druid

[1] Obviously Km/h.