SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-01-10, 01:19 PM   #1
Flameboy

Default Not sparking

Ive had the front plug out and held it up to the engine case while trying to start my bike and as far as i can tell it's not sparking.

I'm told it could be the regulator rectifier but after a look around the forums i have only found threads for curvys and i ride a k3 pointy

how do i test the reg rec to see if that's the problem? if not what else could be causing the spark plugs not to spark?

battery fully charged and all fuses are fine, along with 2 new spark plugs
Old 16-01-10, 02:02 PM   #2
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Default Re: Not sparking

Good afternoon.

Providing your battery is fully charged, I doubt that a failure of the Rec/reg unit would cause a loss of spark.

Check all the connections on the ignition system, namely at the ignitor, ignition switch, handlebar switches & pick up coils, also check the side stand & clutch switch connectors.

If you can obtain a multi meter check to see that you have battery voltage at the coils.

Cheers.
Old 16-01-10, 10:25 PM   #3
Flameboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner Man View Post
Good afternoon.

Providing your battery is fully charged, I doubt that a failure of the Rec/reg unit would cause a loss of spark.

Check all the connections on the ignition system, namely at the ignitor, ignition switch, handlebar switches & pick up coils, also check the side stand & clutch switch connectors.

If you can obtain a multi meter check to see that you have battery voltage at the coils.

Cheers.
I don't think it could be the side stand or the clutch switch as the engine turns over?
Old 16-01-10, 10:30 PM   #4
sunshine

Check your plug cap is on correctly first. then work you way round the circuit looking for a damged cable or loose connection.
Old 16-01-10, 10:38 PM   #5
ridelikeaturtle

If you've got an immobilizer/alarm on the bike, make sure that's correctly disabled. I've had an alarm go bust and I had to completely remove it from the bike to get it started, as the immobilizer was on all the time.
Old 16-01-10, 10:39 PM   #6
Flameboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle View Post
If you've got an immobilizer/alarm on the bike, make sure that's correctly disabled. I've had an alarm go bust and I had to completely remove it from the bike to get it started, as the immobilizer was on all the time.
No immobilizer or alarm
Old 17-01-10, 12:42 AM   #7
Flameboy

Quote:
Good afternoon.

but that would effect both of them simultaneously? these died 200meters apart
Old 18-01-10, 04:47 PM   #8
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameboy View Post
but that would effect both of them simultaneously? these died 200meters apart

Don't rule anything out! Bypass anything that could affect the spark sidestand switches included.

If both cylinders died 200 yards apart, then it's likely that the ignitor or pick up coils are at fault.

Cheers.
Old 18-01-10, 06:15 PM   #9
Flameboy

Quote:
Don't rule anything out! Bypass anything that could affect the spark sidestand switches included.

If both cylinders died 200 yards apart, then it's likely that the ignitor or pick up coils are at fault.

Cheers.
I've managed to get it down to the ignition coils but i cant see a way of getting to them easily, had the tank off but i don't want to go further down because i'm not entirely sure what i'm doing. This is going to end up a garage job unless anyone can offer some assistance
Old 18-01-10, 08:10 PM   #10
sunshine

if its the coils i can swap them for a new one just wait until i get my bike sorted first.